• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 01:54:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

'Ghetto' chilling & crash cooling

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, February 21, 2014, 05:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

peltier's cooling coils servo lifting heat evacuation lids I do love how our ingenuity is allowed to run away with ourselves in the pursuit of brewing the perfect beer. :) This is how the human race managed to leave the caves. ;D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Dr Horrible

There's a theory that one of the main reasons man stopped enjoying a relatively cushty life as hunter-gatherers and moved to farming (which involved a lot more work) was basically because farming meant more access to wine, beer, mead, etc.  I don't know why they even bother debating any other reasons, this one is obviously the right one!

TheSumOfAllBeers

I have seen commercial products in the US that used immersion cooling methods like the photos (but were peltier based - there was no coolant). And they would improve in function more if you insulated the fermenter in some way.

Well I guess I will keep faffing about with tricks to insulate these. A large camping cooler might work for crash cooling, and I might be able to make space for that. But I am pretty stuck for space to do anything wrt crash cooling.

bionut

Hi,

I use Irish Moss in the boil and i never had problem with beer clearing out too slow. I keep it in the fermenter for 2-3 weeks, and i BIAB, so is pretty cloudy initially, but the beer turns out clear.
I also don't have space for racking to secondary.