• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:43:13 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Question for hop growers

Started by RichC, February 26, 2013, 04:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichC

How do you guys estimate IBUs for homegrown hops or are they used less for bittering?

Will_D

QuoteHow do you guys estimate IBUs for homegrown hops or are they used less for bittering?

Dempsey was talking of a group savings scheme to buy shares in a Spectrophotometer  ;)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

RichC

QuoteHow do you guys estimate IBUs for homegrown hops or are they used less for bittering?

Dempsey was talking of a group savings scheme to buy shares in a Spectrophotometer  ;)
Just been checking prices online:) think I prefer Shanes system and to spend my cash on grain and yeast

Will_D

Just been checking prices online:) think I prefer Shanes system and to spend my cash on grain and yeast

Ah but you may have noticed that some of us like shinny toys to play with.

Tom

I'm getting a refractometer for that very shiny purpose. Used on in Brewlab, and they're amaze-balls.

Will_D

QuoteI'm getting a refractometer for that very shiny purpose. Used on in Brewlab, and they're amaze-balls.

Sure are.

The are absolutely the best when mashing, sparging and boiling.

Once the alcohol starts to be produced they need a bit more care and a tool such as in beer smith.

When cool you take the starting gravity of your wort with both the refractometer and the hydrometer.

These should be the same! ( a useful cross check of both instruments.

As fermentation continues if you don't want to use the hydrometer, just use the refract. and plug in the 3 numbers: Your initial 2 for the SG and the current reading and the tool takes into account the needed.