• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 08:21:00 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

South Kildare Huge effort pays off; thanks to all involved NHC

Started by brenmurph, March 23, 2014, 05:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Just a few words re our overwhelming success at the nationals.
Thanks to all in the NHC, BJCP, organisers, local members, brewday guests and all the rest. Our success is down to nikking loads of inspiration, ideas, tips and tricks since we joined NHC 2 years ago.

Last year we worked as hard, has about the same number of entries ( 10 this year) but last year we didnt medal, however we read our feedback, didnt moan and go on with the job of improving.

This year after huge investment in time, money, travelling to numerous events, brewdays, BJCP course and exams and also I worked through the Master Brewers associate Beer Steward course, this combined allowed us to get the results we did.

We held dozens of brewdays where we had input from our guestes into brews on the day, joint effort grinding grain, stirring mash, cleaning up and so on.
Our big investment payed dividends through an input we made and the brew meets.

Results were great, in Dublin we got Gold with Bohemian pilsner, Gold with our Schwarzbier, silver with our Altbier Hybrid ale, bronze with German Pils, and bronze with our Vienna lager.
In Cork we were surprised to be announced as Scottish and Irish ales Gold winners with our Scottish Shilling ale, a truly great result but ye will never appreciate the dozens of hours of work getting the maltiness right in this ale and combined with our own fresh Target and saaz we grew ourself this malty beast was our favorite beer we have ever made. this was inspired by the Dublin Ladies and the donky work on the day was done by them when they arrived for the brewday, hip hip to the Dublin ladies club :) ;) :D ;D 8)

Right thats it...as ye know we are delighted to be announced as 'BEST BREWER 2014' ( Dodge reserved the title Master Brewer and took the overall best of show 8) )

the best brewer Prize was not on medals won but as far as we know a calculation based on medal success relative to entries......WE HAD ONLY 10 ENTRIES and Took 6 medals with 3 being GOLD. Our strike rate was superb..

As usual, get along and take our secrets ( not really secrets ;D) at any of our brewdays or let us know if u are passing on the M7 we are 1 minute from the motorway, there is always a welcome on South Kildare Brewers mat and of course great coffee and BEER.
Regards Brendan & Kellie

Blueshed

Well done Bren and Kellie, will try and get over to you on a Saturday or Sunday very soon.

Beerbuddha

IBD Member

John

Congratulations guys on a marvelous result, and it is thoroughly well deserved. As any one who has visited Brendan and Kellie will attest the infectious dedication and interest in all things brewing could only lead to such a good result, but I think what the the haul of medals does not reflect is Brendan's enthusiasm and willingness  to share his knowledge and know how with all of his visitors, which can only mean two things, more club members enjoying making better and better beer and stiffer competition for Brendan next year ;-) Again, well done!     

Dunkel

Well done Bren and Kellie; looking forward to my next visit  :D

JD

Well done Bren & Kellie.

Best Brewer award is well deserved.
/JD

MisterBurns

Fantastic work guys and well deserved for all the effort and time you put in through each and every week, let alone the year

Looking forward to my feedback and can hopefully follow your lead, apply the learnings and improve the scores next year

Bogwoppit

GrahamR

Fair play to ye, I have made it my mission to make it to the next brewday
Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider