• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 06:21:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What is your favourite commercial Irish red ale?

Started by admin, April 12, 2014, 01:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

beerfly

I love the smell of the mcgargles red but the taste is a bit of a let down, has potential.
Sweetmans red was not that bad. Most commercial ones seem to slightly miss the mark, but the best i ever had was probably the dry hopped sunburnt cask in kavanaghs at the beoir agm

Hingo

O'Hara's Red is great, great malty taste. Rebel Red is good but not as rich in the malt taste.

Place on Dame Lane does O'Hara's Red Nitro on tap - I'd be keen to give that a bash!

DEMPSEY

I find O'Hara's Red a little too roasty. That's why I prefer their O'Shea's red.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Motorbikeman

McGargles   Granny Mary's Red Ale is awesome.

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

I work for the company so I have a commercial interest, but I don't brew it myself as it's contract brewed by Bo Bristle so I can speak with integrity as a brewer. I think Carrig's Rower's Red is a damn fine Irish red ale: Malty but not too sweet with lovely chocolate notes. Some ales are so sweet they have you reaching for a toothbrush afterwards. Only problem with Rowers Red is that it is only available in draft.
IBD member

Samael

1. O'Haras Red.
QuoteMcGargles   Granny Mary's Red Ale is awesome.
3. O'Sheas Red.
..::Tomasz::..

Chris

O'Sheas is probably my favourite followed by Dry hopped RR. I also really like Bru Rua it calls itself a Red but it's not really, lovely beer though.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Bubbles

Gotta say, that Ronan's irish red is one of the best I've tasted, commercial or homebrew. And a worthy medal-winner! :)

I like the O'Haras when it's served at cellar temperature. When it's served too cold (as it is in most dublin pubs) it has a character that reminds me of soy sauce!

The mcardles gets my vote. At least i think it's an irish red.... A very under-rated and much over-looked beer imo.