• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:49:50 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First wort hopping:

Started by Hop Bomb, April 08, 2013, 09:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Who's doing it? and what does your usual hop schedule look like for that style of beer?  Ive read of brewers moving their entire hop shedule to FWH & Ive read of moving 30% to FWH.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

JoeyD

I do it with my pale ale.  I put about 5g of summit fwh and 10g at 60mins.  I like summit for bittering but it is quite strong so depends on taste.  I just read that it can smooth the hop profile and thought that the summit could use that...also makes  lautering smell better than it already does..My "pale" is quite dark and malty though so it balances quite nice.

I've started moving all my hops to late additions now to see how that goes.  Obviously less bitterness but more hop flavour.  I like both depending so no clear favourite.

Hop Bomb

Thats what Ive read too. "In blind taste tests, the FWH were preferred by 11 of 12 test subjects"

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/03/17/the-first-wort-hop-beer-brewing-techniques/

I FWH my stout last night. I chucked in all the 60 min hops, a third of the 30 min & 15 min hops & added those to the boil kettle. (then let the sparged wort run onto them) They stewed away in 60ish c wort for an hour. Then I boiled as normal.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

JoeyD

Have you brewed that recipe before?  be interesting to have a comparison.  I need to do a side by side at some stage to see, I just like this recipe so i haven't played with it too much.