• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 08:07:39 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Black's Beoir#1

Started by admin, April 19, 2014, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Had a half pint today in Farrington's, €3.50 I think. I think half pint glasses are the max size they do, but anyway.

Not bad at all, though I suppose I have my critic hat on as I post. Served too cold, but that's nothing unusual. I read it's a variation of a Hardcore IPA clone, so I was expecting it to be more bitter. It smells it, and it is bitter, but not as bitter as I thought it should be. Hardcore claims 150 IBUs, but the maths on this show around 90. Slightly hazy, I presume it's unfiltered?

Good effort and another step in the right direction. As good is not better that OFAF, but....... not up to Hardcore standards yet. (Hardcore is my favourite DIPA of all time)

Shane Phelan

The temperature thing is an issue in Farringtons. All the beer lines are in a cluster and some get cooled more than others.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Brew Log

LordEoin

I prefer it over hardcore IPA, which I find too bitter. Bitter for the sake of it, to be 'cool'.

googoomuck

They have it in Simon's place in Wexford town. They sell it by the 1/3 or half pint. I really liked it. Sipped on two after work, it was perfect after the day I had!

rukkus

Yea I had a glass in Simons last night. Really enjoyed it.

nigel_c

If you can get to try it in bottle it is a much better. It's holding up better then the kegged version which I found is starting to loose its hops already. I also found it sharper ( not sure if that's the best way to describe it) on draft but not in a good way.

matthewdick23

I was really disappointed with it. OFAF lightyears ahead.  Far too bitter. As if there was minimal finishing and dry hops, which I know isn't true.

Qs

I paid €7 for a 500ml bottle of OFAF last week, well €21 for 3 of them. Its a lovely beer but for a DIPA I think its just lacking a little bit in bitterness. Probably take the Beoir over it. There was a flavour in the Beoir that was really interesting too, not sure. OFAF is lovely but theres nothing all that interesting about it.

Eugene O'Brien

OFAF €10 for three in Egans offie Portlaois.

Eoin

donnchadhc

Hop Bomb

OFAF has changed a bit since you've had it Tube. Good whack of dextrose going in the boil now to dry it out a bit. Hop bill has changed a bit too I think. Mosaic in there aswell as simcoe iirc. Hipster hop heaven. (might use that for a beer name haha)

5.70e for a bottle in O Briens here. 7.15e in McCambridges (robbing bastards).
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Damien M

Eoin

Quote from: Damien M on May 23, 2014, 12:59:10 PM
Quote from: Eoin on May 23, 2014, 11:33:38 AM
WTF is OFAF?

Thanks Eoin! WTF with the TLAs or FLAs

They're not called FLA's they are called ETLA's or extended three letter acronyms....you can tell you were never a consultant ;)

Damien M

Top Ten Things You'll Never Hear from your Consultant

1. You're right; we're billing way too much for this.
2. Bet you I can go a week without saying "synergy" or "value-added".
3. How about paying us based on the success of the project?
4. This whole strategy is based on a UCDbusiness case I read.
5. Actually, the only difference is that we charge more than they do.
6. I don't know enough to speak intelligently about that.
7. Implementation? I only care about writing long reports.
8. I can't take the credit. It was Ed in your marketing department.
9. The problem is, you have too much work for too few people.
10. Everything looks okay to me. You really don't need me.