• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 10, 2024, 02:57:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hoppy Birthday IPA:

Started by Hop Bomb, April 01, 2013, 06:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

April 01, 2013, 06:56:50 PM Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:18:38 PM by Hop_Bomb
Recipe: Hoppy Birthday
Brewer: Thomas Delaney, Shane Lynch, Arron Hall
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.12 l
Post Boil Volume: 26.62 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 18.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 14.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 61.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 93.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
5.00 kg               Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)         Grain         1        95.2 %       
0.25 kg               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)   Grain         2        4.8 %         
50.00 g               Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        61.1 IBUs    
0.26 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        4        -            
25.00 g               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min    Hop           5        0.0 IBUs      
25.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           6        0.0 IBUs      
25.00 g               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min           Hop           7        0.0 IBUs      
25.00 g               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           8        0.0 IBUs      
01                      vial of San Diego Super Yeast WLP090

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time    
Mash In           Add 13.69 l of water at 75.2 C          66.0 C        60 min       

Sparge: Fly sparge with 20.69 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[size=16]
The Brew Day:
[/size]
My mate & new neighbour Shane wanted me to brew him a keg of IPA for his 30th birthday at the end of the month so we brewed it on Sunday. 

We attempted to collect our brew water from Shanes neighbour who has a deadly filtration system ...

...but it was pretty slow to collect so we abandoned that idea & went with tap water (maybe next time if we collect water in advance)

We all took turns milling the grain on the corona mill. 5kg of marris otter & 250g of crystal.

It was my first outing with my newly built HLT & copper manifold + sparge arm in my mash tun. It worked amazingly well & we hit all our targets bar the mash tun grain temp which was a few degrees shy (my first time brewing outside also) & our mash ph was a little on the high side too - 6.0.

We looked online for a quick answer on how much calcium chloride to use but couldnt find anything solid so just sprinkled in a tablespoon. Dont think it made any difference.

Shane wanted something really hoppy so we raided my freezer & went with 50g of Galaxy for bittering. For the aroma we went with 25g each of Amarillo, Cascade, Citra & Simcoe all added at flame out. 

After flameout we carried the boiler into the kitchen & hooked up the copper chiller & the pump for whirlpooling. We managed to knock 20[ch730]c off in what felt like 2 mins & reached 25[ch730]c in 17 mins. Pretty happy with that (it should keep the want for a plate chiller at bay for another while)

We took a hydrometer reading of OG 1.060 just .002 short of beersmiths target making our brewday efficency 73% (up about 20% from my previous brews thanks to the new copper manifold)

The beer then got transferred into a new glass carboy (new glass from HBW from the 15% off sale) & we pitched a vial of WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast & its living up to its name. The air lock started bubbling within 20 mins! 

The brewday was a great success & it was really nice to brew outside & have company for a change (it made clean up a lot easier too). Cant wait for the next one!

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

April 01, 2013, 07:38:12 PM #1 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:41:34 PM by Ciderhead
That looks fantastic, couple of points,
1) no starter?
2) Heat belts are not suitable and potentially dangerous for carboys :(

Hop Bomb

April 01, 2013, 07:46:49 PM #2 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 07:58:32 PM by Hop_Bomb
We didnt have time for a starter as we only decided to do the brew on Sat night. I had a vial of the super yeast which says it only needs a starter if the beer is 1.070 or more or if its past its best before date. Its flying here anyway so hopefully all will be okay.

Just plugged out the heat belt. Thanks for the tip. I guess Il have to build a fermentation chamber soon?

johnrm

Looks like ye had fun lads!
You have me Amazoning for a pH Meter now...
How good is the one you have and where did you buy?
Did you have distilled water and buffer solution to calibrate?

Ciderhead

April 01, 2013, 09:04:06 PM #4 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:08:02 PM by Ciderhead
Never heard of that san diago but interesting stuff

So just show you an option for outside as I went mad with 3 carboys at HBW.
With my fridge set at 19.5 for a Dry Stout and Kolsch

and ambient at 2

to get fermentation started for the first 24 hours boosted my 60 watt heater with a couple of heater belts and the recommended method for heating carboys which is the wrap on the top right.

Another top tip is to support weight (over 55Kgs) on the double glass fridge shelf with a timber block between shelves to spread the load.

Hop Bomb

I got mine in HBW & got a bottle of each of the calibration fluids (cant find these on the site though). You get enough solution to calibrate it first time though. Only reason I had to buy more is I knocked my ph pen out of whack by testing 60[ch730]c mash. I got distilled water in the motor shop.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/ph-pen-1986-p.asp

DEMPSEY

I love the cladding on those group buy American Kegs ;).
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

@Ciderhead - Looks good. Ive got an stc1000 here. Will keep an eye out locally for a cheap/free fridge. That'll have to be the next project.

@Dempsey - The foil wraps work well on the Kegs. Fashionable & functional  :)