• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 12:47:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

StockPots

Started by johnrm, May 22, 2014, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Greg2013 on May 29, 2014, 09:15:05 AM
yes but are the HBC stock pots suitable for induction hobs ? :D
Can't see why not. Both Ikea & HBC are SS.

Garry

Most cheap stainless steel pots will not work on an induction hob. The base needs to be magnetic. If they don't specify that it's suitable for induction, it usually isn't.

I've sent HBC an email to check theirs.

Jacob

Quote from: Garry on May 29, 2014, 09:52:48 AM
Most cheap stainless steel pots will not work on an induction hob. The base needs to be magnetic. If they don't specify that it's suitable for induction, it usually isn't.

I've sent HBC an email to check theirs.
Hmmm, could be wrong but haven't seen non magnetic steel  :-X

Qs

Not all SS is the same. There are different grades because its an alloy.

Garry

Just got an email back from Shane, their pots are not suitable for induction hobs  :(

@Jacob, mild steel (the common stuff) is always magnetic. Stainless steel is usually non-magnetic but can be got magnetic. Even SS pots that are suitable for induction hobs, usually only have a magnetic layer on the base.

@Qs, mild steel is an alloy too; iron + carbon = steel  :)

Jacob

Quote from: Garry on May 29, 2014, 10:11:32 AM
Just got an email back from Shane, their pots are not suitable for induction hobs  :(

@Jacob, mild steel (the common stuff) is always magnetic. Stainless steel is usually non-magnetic but can be got magnetic. Even SS pots that are suitable for induction hobs, usually only have a magnetic layer on the base.

@Qs, mild steel is an alloy too; iron + carbon = steel  :)
Well, another lesson learnt :/

johnrm

@Jacob, I don't get it fully either, but once there is an aluminium layer laminated in the base of an otherwise s/s pot then it works. Copper does not work either, or Glass, apparently thats not magnetic  ::)

Jacob

Quote from: johnrm on May 29, 2014, 10:37:33 AM
@Jacob, I don't get it fully either, but once there is an aluminium layer laminated in the base of an otherwise s/s pot then it works. Copper does not work either, or Glass, apparently thats not magnetic  ::)
My both keggles are ss and if I put a magnet on them it will stay there, haven't checked the bottom :P

derfel

Quote from: Greg2013 on May 29, 2014, 09:14:00 AM
When was this because they are not on the main site and they are nowhere to be found in my local Aldi ? In fact i have not seen them advertised for at least a couple of weeks now. :D

Aldi Midleton, yesterday. there were three left.

Will_D

Quote from: johnrm on May 29, 2014, 10:37:33 AM

See reply #2 on page 1 The aluminium is there to provide better heat distribution if its put on a gas burner!

Good quality, professional kitchen pots are usually either heavy Aluminium with a layer of SS in the base so it works on induction

Or:

All SS with a layer of aluminium in the base for heat transfer.

That is why the bases are about 4 to 6 mm thick and the pots are blooming expensive.

The thin ss pots we are talking about are just thin SS with no thick botoms!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

I got one in Celbridge about 3 weeks ago :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

Could you just have a base of an induction pot on your hob, then stick your non induction stock pot on top of that? Would the heat still transfer?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Garry

Quote from: Hop Bomb on May 29, 2014, 11:29:29 AM
Could you just have a base of an induction pot on your hob, then stick your non induction stock pot on top of that? Would the heat still transfer?

You can use a hop adapter plate but you won't get the same efficiency.

Greg2013

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
Quote from: Greg2013 on May 29, 2014, 09:14:00 AM
When was this because they are not on the main site and they are nowhere to be found in my local Aldi ? In fact i have not seen them advertised for at least a couple of weeks now. :D

Aldi Midleton, yesterday. there were three left.

Feck it anyway  :(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Qs

How cheap were the Aldi hobs? Seems to be plenty at decent prices on Amazon.