• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 06, 2024, 04:31:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

StockPots

Started by johnrm, May 22, 2014, 10:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

The aldi one was €39. There are a few good deals on Amazon alright.

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Garry on May 29, 2014, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: Hop Bomb on May 29, 2014, 11:29:29 AM
Could you just have a base of an induction pot on your hob, then stick your non induction stock pot on top of that? Would the heat still transfer?

You can use a hop adapter plate but you won't get the same efficiency.
When you say not as good as,how bad then :-\

DEMPSEY

OK question here, could you have a welder weld on a piece of steel to a stainless steel pot to make it induction compatible  :-\

Garry

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 29, 2014, 12:43:40 PM
When you say not as good as,how bad then :-\

Induction hobs effectively turn the base of the pot into the heat source. That's what makes them efficient. You can take a boiling pot of water off an induction hob and the hob will be cool enough to touch without melting your finger off. (Use some common sense if you want to try this at home!)

Using the adapter plate, the plate becomes the heat source which then has to transfer up to the pot. It would be the same as using an ordinary electric hob. So you would not be getting any benefit from using induction.

Garry

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 29, 2014, 12:49:46 PM
OK question here, could you have a welder weld on a piece of steel to a stainless steel pot to make it induction compatible  :-\

It would be the same as using the adapter plate I'd say? The plate you weld to the base would only be welded around the outside and not fully fused to the base.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Garry on May 29, 2014, 01:01:02 PM
Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 29, 2014, 12:49:46 PM

It would be the same as using the adapter plate I'd say? The plate you weld to the base would only be welded around the outside and not fully fused to the base.
Aah :(

johnrm

@Greg, I can check Aldi Midleton for you later if you like.

Greg2013

Quote from: johnrm on May 29, 2014, 01:19:55 PM
@Greg, I can check Aldi Midleton for you later if you like.

Cheers for that  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Garry

Quote from: Tube on May 29, 2014, 01:14:27 PM
You could put thermal paste between the plate and the pot before you weld them together.

That might just work? No need to weld it either, just use thermal paste?

With all the faffing about you'd probably have an induction pot bought though.

Another thing worth noting: the flatter and smoother the base of the pot, the better it will work on an induction hop. So if you get a cheap pot with a thin base, it might warp over time and not work anymore :(

DEMPSEY

Do any of ye ever used thermal paste and if so how strong is the bond. Would the prolonged heat of a boil not cause it to weaken.

imark

Alternatively, drop the plate into the pot. It'll work fine through the pot base. You can take it out and wash it after the boil.

imark

Also, the pots that are sold as non induction ready will still work in some cases.
I bought one off mybeerandwine    that wasn't supposed to be induction capable but it actually is.  Basic principles is if a magnet sticks you're good to go

johnrm

Ok, there's 3 Delta Hotplates in Aldi Midleton.
I can buy and express them.
Takers?

DEMPSEY

The problem with putting a metal disc inside the pot is what metal do you pick