• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:59:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Is my beer infected?

Started by winstonia, July 11, 2014, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winstonia

I didn't take a pic, haven't dumped yet but it's pretty similar to this but without the bubbles.

It's on day 7 HBC discover america extract kit. I closed the lid and throw some hops in and it's started bubbling after 5 mins, no airlock activity the past 3-4 days.

LordEoin

The light brown clumps look fine but i'd also be suspicious about those bubbles as it means there's a film of something growing on the top.
take a pic of your own beer and post it up so that we can see
How does it smell and taste?

winstonia

Quote from: LordEoin on July 11, 2014, 12:45:00 PM
The light brown clumps look fine but i'd also be suspicious about those bubbles as it means there's a film of something growing on the top.
take a pic of your own beer and post it up so that we can see
How does it smell and taste?

I haven't tasted it, smell is hard to describe like something over carbonated. The flash on my camera is making it look more white, no mould showing just those orange looking spots/clumps. Gravity is at 1.009

beerfly

Mostly looks like yeast, I have had similar whitish stuff before too.  Clean a spoon or something with starsan or boiling water and take a taste. If there is anything else going on there it's the easiest way to check

winstonia

Had a taste, still hard to describe. It didn't taste flat anyway, seems to have started fermenting again as the airlock is bubbling every 5-10 seconds. Tasted a bit like a friends cider with that rhinofart without the egg

baphomite51

iv had a lot of these moments meself but ya just need to ride it out, to be honest it just looks like yeast i wouldn worry bout it just yet, once theres no bubbles like u said, bottle it up give it a week to carb and try it, id say the white stuff is hop oil, wat kind of beer is it??

beerfly

if you did not want to spit it out after tasting it then its fine

tpc2001

You've got to be patient. Just leave things alone for at least two weeks, then see where you're at.

Tom

winstonia

Yup, drinking it at the moment and it's fine. Best one yet actually.

molc

I think the beers you most fear turning into a disaster are usually the ones that taste like nectar from a god :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter