• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:43:10 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NBC 2014 CAT 18 GOLD - (Belgium Strong)

Started by magnethead, August 29, 2014, 11:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnethead

August 29, 2014, 11:13:38 AM Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:54:05 AM by magnethead
Are we gonna see some more 2014 beer recipes now  :-\

Name: Trapattoni
Apparantly if you like big beers, this is quite nice, It was my first and probably last (I can't stomach them or handle the alcohol :)
This was an 'experiment' just to say I made a 'big beer' so pretty much beginners luck for it to turn out so nice.
Can you spot someone trying to use up ingredients below to reach a bigger gravity?  :P

3Kg  Pilsner  47.8%
0.5Kg Abbey Malt   8%
0.23Kg  Caramunich Malt 3.7%
0.17Kg Aromatic Malt 2.7%
0.07Kg Chocolate Malt 1.1%
1Kg  Extra light Dry Extract  15.9%
0.5Kg  Dark Dry extract  8%
0.5Kg Candi Sugar (Clear)
0.3Kg Candi Sugar (Dark)
2g  Seeds of Paradise (Coffee grinder into the last 5 min of Boil)

25g Magnum (60mins)
30g Hallertauer Mittelfruch (15mins)

Trappist Ale yeast (WLP500)

OG 1.090
FG 1.012

Process: Simple as always! (The making beer part, not the maturation)

MASH at 68c for an hour with 20L (Mash PH 5.6)
Sparged out with 10L I think ....(Got 18L into the Primary)

Fermented for 2 and a half weeks.......It turned out at 10.5% Alc (Note, the mouthful(my limit) I tasted after fermentation tasted devine!!)

THis was before my Keg setup, so everything went into bottles with a teaspoon of Sugar.......after 4 months I checked and they were completely FLAT.....Think all the trappist yeast tapped out! I had given the bottles a turn regularly during the 4 months but nothing. (Note: Some knowledgeable lad on Beoir said to me after that I should have recylced some of the yeast from the TRUB, because they would be a bit more tolerant?)

Anyway I made up a solution 100ml of Champagne yeast and (I think) I syringed in 3ml of yeast solution into each bottle...Opened another 4 months later and there was a 'small head, but generally flat'

Got pissed off, put them all in boxes and forgot about for 2 years   ;D  Remembered them at the back of the shed, and thought about the Keg setup I had since acquired...Opened all the Bottles and dumped them into a Keg for a Charge.
Rebottled them and brought them to a homebrew meet.

Partridge9 got all excited  :P and convinced me to enter the beer into the NBC Comp, so I have him to thank for getting a medal

Moral of the story: Even if you think your beer is crap, someone else might like it  ;D   (And Big Beers take lot's of TIME to mature)

Oh, and it was in the top 6 beers of the 2014 comp too, the 'results' talked about lot's of 'complexity' ..

Bubbles

Well done on that beer! I stewarded on the "Strong Belgian" table and I got to taste it. I do remember the judges were absolutely raving about your beer and it was the clear winner of the category on the day.

irish_goat

Funny after all that hassle with the bottling that you still come out with a great beer.

magnethead

haha yeah, I think the Big beers with all that Alc onboard can handle all the  transfers/microbes you throw at them and they can obviously take a kickin  :P you don't need to baby them like the 4% er's