• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 06:57:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

whats the difference between crystal malts?

Started by Fal, October 06, 2014, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fal

What is the difference between crystal malts 30, 45, 80, 112, 120 etc. I understand that they are different levels of colour but is there any difference in taste/effect on the beer? Or what other reasons they might be used in a beer apart from adding colour.
...used to be NewBier

Tom

I used about 500g of Extra Dark crystal (about 250ol) in a 9gal recipe, and it tastes an awful lot like amber malt. Hardly any extra sweetness and the beer finished around 1010. Just my recent experience.

molc

Check out how to brew for a breakdown of the different flavours:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html

Caramel 10 10 L This malt adds a light honey-like sweetness and some body to the finished beer.

Caramel 40 40 L The additional color and light caramel sweetness of this malt is perfect for pale ales and amber lagers.

Caramel 60 60 L This is the most commonly used caramel malt, also known as medium crystal. It is well suited for pale ales, English style bitters, porters and stouts. It adds a full caramel taste and body to the beer.

Caramel 80 80 L This malt is used for making reddish colored beers and gives a lightly bittersweet caramel flavor.

Caramel 120 120 L This malt adds a lot of color and bittersweet caramel flavor. Useful in small amounts to add complexity or in greater amounts for old ales, barleywines and doppelbocks.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Big difference in flavours between the different grades of crystals. The lighter ones have more caramel sweetness and the dark crystals have less sweetness and more of a burnt, dried fruit flavour. Generally speaking, you use smaller amounts of the darker the crystal malts as the flavours can become overwhelming if used in large quantities. For most beer styles, at least.

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on October 06, 2014, 01:30:46 PM
Big difference in flavours between the different grades of crystals. The lighter ones have more caramel sweetness and the dark crystals have less sweetness and more of a burnt, dried fruit flavour. Generally speaking, you use smaller amounts of the darker the crystal malts as the flavors can become overwhelming if used in large quantities. For most beer styles, at least.
Remember also that the darker malts will also contribute more color. I would be wary also of the size of the gap on mill your using as the crystal malt will end up as dust in the grist. This will mean a larger surface area to interact with the water and hence even more color in the wort. I consistently have problems with beer smith showing the color of the actual beer produced bearing no relationship to the color in the brewing software.

Regards,

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

baphomite51

i done a great thing where i mad a little tea of each malt i had and it was a big eye opener, my favorite was c40 and also discovered i hate brown malt.

Fal

I guess the reason for my question is I understand the malt at either extreme end of the scales ie extra dark malts vs Dextrine malts but if I'm making a beer and colour isn't important does it matter if I use crystal 30/40 or 80 or even 120.

I like the idea of making a tea, I might try that before the weekend & my next brew.
...used to be NewBier