• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:40:49 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Chocolate Espresso Stout

Started by ABeerZale, October 09, 2014, 05:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABeerZale

Okay, here goes, first time posting here. Git brew day coming up on Saturday and I've got this recipe. What do youse think?? Appreciate any feedback.

Pale Malt 5kg / 11 lbs
Crystal 20 500g / 1 lb
Roasted Barley 500g / 1 lb
Flaked Oats 400g / 14oz
Crystal 150 200g / 7oz

Hops
Chinook 15g /. 5 Oz  60min
Chinook 30g / 1 oz  15 min
EK Goldings 30g / 1 oz 5min

Misc.
Cocoa Powder 225g / 8 oz  15 min
Barley Malt Syrup  1L / 1 Qrt  15 min
Coffee 1 pint -  Secondary
Brown Sugar 140g /4.9 oz

It'll be left to condition till Xmas at least. Hoping it comes out well.

Qs

ABeerZale

Not sure yet what's the best method. Need to do some further reading. Probably to secondary fermenter

baphomite51

if used coffee before, i boiled it and then added it at bottling which worked great it seemed to jel with the flavours very smoothly, what kind of coffee is it?? and if you want a good chocolate flavour id add it at secondary

ABeerZale

Not sure whether to go with a load of Nespresso capsules or get some   freshly ground beans.
How long did you leave yours go for before cracking open a bottle?

GrahamR

I made a 5 litre batch of coffee stout earlier in the year. Siphoned off my base stout recipe into a demijohn with 1 lungo  sized nespresso coffee and it turned out great. Nice smell and taste of coffee without being overpowering.
Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider

ABeerZale

Mine will be 19 litres more or less, was gonna put about a litre of coffee in after primary fermentation and leave it for two months!!

GrahamR

A litre seems like an awful lot to me. Why don't you bottle 10 litres as is and make coffee stout with the rest. At least then if its not to your liking you haven't wasted 19 litres of brew
Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider

auralabuse

I did a similar one before,  I think cold brewing the coffee is recommended as it has a much longer shelf life.  I brewed 25 litres with 250g drinking chocolate and 1 litre cold brewed French roast beans in the secondary and it turned out fantastic

ABeerZale

Quote from: auralabuse on October 11, 2014, 04:50:18 PM
I did a similar one before,  I think cold brewing the coffee is recommended as it has a much longer shelf life.  I brewed 25 litres with 250g drinking chocolate and 1 litre cold brewed French roast beans in the secondary and it turned out fantastic
That sounds similar to what I want to do. How long did you age it for?

auralabuse

Well,  I bottled it,  the first bottle I tasted was after about 2 weeks,  the last about 6 months and there was not a huge difference  to me

ABeerZale

Quote from: auralabuse on October 11, 2014, 11:24:09 PM
Well,  I bottled it,  the first bottle I tasted was after about 2 weeks,  the last about 6 months and there was not a huge difference  to me
Cheers, good to know

auralabuse

Have another one on the go now but it's going to be kegged,  pushed with nitrogen through a stout tap from a corny so will stick up a review,  it's a kit this time

ABeerZale

Sounds a lot more professional than what I'm doing. We'll mash, boil on a stove, pour into fermenter through a sieve, cool with bags of ice, throw in the yeast and hope for the best. Plan to whack in the coffee after a week, then leave to condition for as long as possible, maybe carb two weeks before Xmas.

auralabuse

Jees,  not at all.  I just happened to get my hands on the suremix bottle so using it to push the stout.  It may turn out to be a pint of head yet