• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:28:26 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Flat sweet beer with no Co2

Started by Shanna, November 07, 2014, 12:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Hi there,

Just opened a bottle of a baltic porter that I did about 10 days ago and the first bottle that I tried is absolutely flat as a pan cake. Absolutely no sign of life/gas in it all. I have been storing it in the front room of my house where it is about 20C. Not sure what else to do short of trying to heat it up. Would be interested to hear any ideas that people have on it. The wort sat in a primary for 2 weeks and then in a secondary for 3 weeks on boiled oak chips.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

johnrm

What ABV is it? If it's high your yeast could be knackered.
You might need to add champagne yeast.

Shanna

Quote from: johnrm on November 07, 2014, 12:52:39 AM
What ABV is it? If it's high your yeast could be knackered.
You might need to add champagne yeast.
9.5%. Would that be adding a few grains to each bottle? How would you determine how much is required?

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

johnrm

I'm no expert on this so cannot advise, sorry.
Google is your friend. Report back with links.

Bart

Depending how long was the primary and secondary. Well you have it all bottled now I would just leave it sitting.

Remember few brews that sit 2 wks in primary, then 3 wks in secondary (at my very start, giving the beer as much time as I was told to) and after bottling were flat for like 3 wks if not more.

In the end I've got a proper carbonation at 6 wks from bottling. Just give it time.

---
Read somewhere the usual for RIS / Baltic Porters is to add a bit (1/4 - 1/2 tsp) of yeast starter per bottle to aid the bottle carbonation

Shanna

Quote from: Bart on November 07, 2014, 09:18:39 AM
Depending how long was the primary and secondary. Well you have it all bottled now I would just leave it sitting.

Remember few brews that sit 2 wks in primary, then 3 wks in secondary (at my very start, giving the beer as much time as I was told to) and after bottling were flat for like 3 wks if not more.

In the end I've got a proper carbonation at 6 wks from bottling. Just give it time.

---
Read somewhere the usual for RIS / Baltic Porters is to add a bit (1/4 - 1/2 tsp) of yeast starter per bottle to aid the bottle carbonation
Will give them three more weeks. The beer itself was in primary for 2 weeks & 3 weeks on oak chips.  Might just need to be patient. if still no joy in a months time will try add some dried yeast.

Thanks Bart & John.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

molc

Aye, I did a RIS this year and everything with it took ages. I'd say it was a month in the bottles before the PET one's started to firm up properly and maybe 4 months before the head on it was decent. That was after 3 weeks in primary and 8 weeks in secondary as well. I added another batch of liquid yeast before bottling that had been harvested from the original strain before I started as well, so I think they're just slow as all hell.

Another thing I've noticed - a RIS (guessing baltic porter will be similar) needs a good 6 months for the flavours to develop. They are a joy once they have, but it's def a slow burn.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

imark

You're probably better off adding a small amount of starter at krausen than dry yeast directly Shanna.

Shanna

Going to rebottle one of the bottles in PET bottle to use as a gauge of progress. Will be filling this little nugget away for future use. Thanks for the tip.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bart

Quote from: molc on November 07, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
RIS (guessing baltic porter will be similar)
The only difference I can notice is that while RIS is made with ale yeast the Baltic Porter is made with lager yeast.

molc

Quote from: Bart on November 07, 2014, 02:38:59 PM
Quote from: molc on November 07, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
RIS (guessing baltic porter will be similar)
The only difference I can notice is that while RIS is made with ale yeast the Baltic Porter is made with lager yeast.
Great, another smelly fermentation ahead of me :/
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Shanna

Just tried a bottle of my Baltic porter this evening & finally getting a head on it. It's still sweetish but it is getting there. I reckon another few months in the shed & it will be top class.

Thanks to everybody who provided feedback previously. Bart I reckon ur comment about 6 weeks was bang on.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer