• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:25:18 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Punk IPA changing again?

Started by Qs, November 24, 2014, 07:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

Just on their site because I wanted to see what the IBUs were and I noticed quite a few new things

QuoteABV:
    5.6%
OG:
IBU's:
Malts:
    Tipple Pale, Cara, Pale
Hops:
    Chinook, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin
Twist:
    Hopped with bucket loads of our favourite hops

Wasn't it a 100% MO base before and the Amarillo and Cascade are new too. Plus the IBUs used to be stronger than 35. I'll have to taste it again but 35 IBU now is some difference to first version Punk from a few years ago.

Pheeel

I had one at the weekend. It was in a new bottle so I assume it was the new recipe. It wasn't as good as I recall
Issues with your membership? PM me!

irish_goat

Possibly changed the hops to fit in with the supply and demand of the rarer varieties. The IBU's used to be 45 according to this as well. http://www.brewdog.com/beer/punk-ipa

Qs

OG is a few points down now too compared to that.

Bubbles

Quote from: Qs on November 24, 2014, 07:56:24 PM
Just on their site because I wanted to see what the IBUs were and I noticed quite a few new things

QuoteABV:
    5.6%
OG:
IBU's:
Malts:
    Tipple Pale, Cara, Pale
Hops:
    Chinook, Ahtanum, Amarillo, Cascade, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin
Twist:
    Hopped with bucket loads of our favourite hops

Wasn't it a 100% MO base before and the Amarillo and Cascade are new too. Plus the IBUs used to be stronger than 35. I'll have to taste it again but 35 IBU now is some difference to first version Punk from a few years ago.

Ahh.. takes me back.. I remember Punk back in the days it was over 6%. Very dry and insanely bitter, not just hoppy. Certainly a lot different now. I'd have believed it was a single-malt beer back in those days, but I had noticed that it has definitely gotten more caramelly over the last couple of years.

Brewdog used to have a hoppy ale called Trashy Blond, which was more classic pale ale than Punk. I'm guessing when Trashy was discontinued they decided to find the common ground between it and Punk IPA, and make that their flagship beer.

BYO magazine did a clone recipe of Punk a few years ago which came directly from Martin Dickie, which tells you just how much it's been dumbed down over the years. 62 IBUs!! That's some difference:

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3160-punk-ipa-clone

I'd take the hop varieties listed with a pinch of salt too - a lot of breweries do hop salad beers like that to ensure consistency and cope with shortages of any single varieties. I'd say there could be any American hop varieties in there..

mrmeindl

December 10, 2016, 03:28:00 PM #5 Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:10:52 PM by mrmeindl

nigel_c

The original punk was all MO but I also had Nelson in it.
It was a savage beer and a real inn your face hoppy beer when other were turning out non timid hoppy beers.
Now I find it bland and nowhere near what it used to be.
There should be an original clone recipe somewhere on here. Would be interesting to compare the original stats to the published ones and what's Boeing sold now.

I miss old punk.

Qs

They have the original recipe in the DIY Dog thing. Seems the new one has Sauvin but not the old one. It was a way more aggressive beer from memory. The modern one is ok but a bit lacking something.

Bubbles

Quote from: nigel_c on December 10, 2016, 04:13:46 PM
The original punk was all MO but I also had Nelson in it.
It was a savage beer and a real inn your face hoppy beer when other were turning out non timid hoppy beers.
Now I find it bland and nowhere near what it used to be.
There should be an original clone recipe somewhere on here. Would be interesting to compare the original stats to the published ones and what's Boeing sold now.

I miss old punk.

I miss it too. It was shockingly bitter, though I might not think so now.

Their Jackhammer reminds me of that almost overwhelming bitterness I remember. Stone IPA has it too.

Bubbles

Quote from: Qs on December 10, 2016, 04:57:57 PM
The modern one is ok but a bit lacking something.

It's part of a global craft brewery conspiracy to make all beer taste like Um Bongo.

Qs

It gets much worse than that. I was in London the week before last and there was a lot of far fruitier beer from the local craft brewers. It was really annoying. I like a big hoppy flavour but if you can't make your beer fruity enough with hops I'm not interested in you adding mango purée to it.

Bubbles

Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine too - some brewers are going out of their way to make their beers taste like anything but beer! Where will it end eh?

banjobrew

It looks like it's a lot more clear now too. To me it tastes slightly more earthy than before.
Belfast Homebrewers.