• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:45:44 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone used the Bulldog Malt Mill

Started by mcooney, November 27, 2014, 12:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermelho

As armedcor mentioned, I trouble with my first one in that one of the crushers wasn't uniform creating a larger gap halfway through a turn. The second one is fine but one of the wheels is slightly loose. It crushed well though. Also the drill attachment that received is a bit wonky.

biertourist

Quote from: Vermelho on March 26, 2015, 06:31:36 PM
I trouble with my first one in that one of the crushers wasn't uniform creating a larger gap halfway through a turn. The second one is fine but one of the wheels is slightly loose. It crushed well though. Also the drill attachment that received is a bit wonky.

Wow, what a shame that the quality control is so low as the feature of having a gear connect the two rollers is a much needed one, IMHO.

Adam

HomeBrewWest

Bringing a few to the new HBS in Dublin tomo if anyone wants to pop in and have a go on one.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

fungalboy

Received mine today. Looks as expected. The hopper assembly is quite fiddly but manageable (don't drop the nuts or bolts down into the mess on the floor of your shed, like I did).

However you have to be extremely careful with the mounting screws for attaching the hopper to the mill. They are very soft metal and will wear extremely easily. Make sure you go at them slowly with the right size Phillips head.

I have let HBW know.

armedcor

I used mine again today. I used a corded electric drill and I'm not sure if it's my drill or what but it really requires a lot of force to turn, almost need the drill at full speed which isn't ideal. I get a much better crush when I mill it by hand but that sucks...a lot.

Saying that after conditioning the malt and eventually running it through it was a lovely crush.

NeillC

Mine arrived yesterday. Agree with fungalboy on the hopper. Nearly lost a few washers down the back of the sofa. Also seemed to be extra washers, either that or I didn't use enough, it wasn't overly clear from the instructions how to put it together. Won't be using it for a few weeks yet.

Covey

The screws on mine won't come out of the mill assemble to attach the hopper and the screws are losing shape with the pressure not looking guys at the moment will give HBW a shout
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

NeillC

Came very close to that happening. Changed to a different screw driver with a really good fit and carefully got them turned but was worried the head may just shred.

johnrm

Covey

No there Philips alright really really soft, ruined the face of the screws got them off which a pillars phew. Now testing the grind, seems a to take a high torque to get the right grist consistency

fungalboy

Screws wearing was my major issue. I have told HBW (with photos) and received a holding response.

Agree that instructions were poor but I guess it's  not rocket science. Getting screws mad from something other than jam obviously is.

Hopefully it is not an indication of the quality of the rest of the unit.

biertourist

Yea it makes sense that you need more torque to turn 2 rollers vs. 1; didn't think about that...

Adam

Covey

Quote from: biertourist on April 01, 2015, 11:49:07 PM
Yea it makes sense that you need more torque to turn 2 rollers vs. 1; didn't think about that...

Adam

Last time i listen to you!!!!!  only messin. My cordless is just to under powered to do it but its fine with the 2500w. 

Boycott

I have one delivered but haven't put it together yet. Should and could i get better screws from a DIY store?

NeillC

Quote from: DCBrewing on April 02, 2015, 08:43:51 AM
I have one delivered but haven't put it together yet. Should and could i get better screws from a DIY store?

It's not tightening is the problem, it's removing the top ones from the mill so the hopper can be fitted. Do it very carefully.