• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:26:11 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone used the Bulldog Malt Mill

Started by mcooney, November 27, 2014, 12:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycott

Quote from: NeillC on April 02, 2015, 08:50:03 AM

Quote from: DCBrewing on April 02, 2015, 08:43:51 AM
I have one delivered but haven't put it together yet. Should and could i get better screws from a DIY store?

It's not tightening is the problem, it's removing the top ones from the mill so the hopper can be fitted. Do it very carefully.

Thats the stage im on now, i can seem to remove them! Either im too weak or they are fuckin weilded in!

Boycott

Very difficult to put together, more like a puzzle. Very low quality build overall. Hope it does the job in the end. Also i tries adding grain to the actual mill, it just falls down the outside of the rollers as the gaps are so big? Wtf?!

Keg

I had the same problem with the screws, could only get two of the four off, ended up wrecking the face of the screws while trying to remove them... In the end I screwed the hopper in on one side only and bent it to fit on the other. 

Boycott

Quote from: Keg on April 02, 2015, 08:50:45 PM
I had the same problem with the screws, could only get two of the four off, ended up wrecking the face of the screws while trying to remove them... In the end I screwed the hopper in on one side only and bent it to fit on the other.
thats mental, very poor! I cant take any off and my screw bit fits perfect

HomeBrewWest

We've been on to the manufacturers, its a small problem but a real pain in the ass. Once you get these 4 screws out, its plain sailing and it is a great mill.

Until they sort this out, we are going to loosen the screws on all mills before we ship them. This should solve this.

Any other issues, post them here and we'll keep and eye on it.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Covey

Try going at the heads of the screw side on using the teeth of the pillars work for me just about
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Boycott

NeillC

Quote from: DCBrewing on April 02, 2015, 08:36:47 PM
Very difficult to put together, more like a puzzle. Very low quality build overall. Hope it does the job in the end. Also i tries adding grain to the actual mill, it just falls down the outside of the rollers as the gaps are so big? Wtf?!

Were you putting them down through the hopper? The smaller plates screw inside the hopper to feed on to the centre gap in the mill.

Keg

Quote from: Covey on April 02, 2015, 09:13:29 PM

Try going at the heads of the screw side on using the teeth of the pillars work for me just about
Cheers, I'll give it another go.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: DCBrewing on April 02, 2015, 09:28:47 PM
So what do I do now HBW?
Try to loosen the 4 screws using a vice grips or a pliers. We are doing this for all mills shipped from now on, and the manufacturers are working on it too.

If you can't get them off, pop into the shop and we will do it for you.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

Boycott

Quote from: NeillC on April 02, 2015, 09:34:49 PM

Were you putting them down through the hopper? The smaller plates screw inside the hopper to feed on to the centre gap in the mill.

Aha i didnt know that about the small plates. I put them on the outside! Instrutions are so shiiiite

NeillC

Quote from: DCBrewing on April 03, 2015, 06:10:13 AM
Quote from: NeillC on April 02, 2015, 09:34:49 PM

Aha i didnt know that about the small plates. I put them on the outside! Instrutions are so shiiiite

Agreed, I'll maybe stick a few pics of mine on the thread so people can see. (When I get a moment)

Boycott

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on April 03, 2015, 01:23:07 AM
Quote from: DCBrewing on April 02, 2015, 09:28:47 PM
So what do I do now HBW?
Try to loosen the 4 screws using a vice grips or a pliers. We are doing this for all mills shipped from now on, and the manufacturers are working on it too.

If you can't get them off, pop into the shop and we will do it for you.
Pliers aren't working for me. You mean your shop in galway, cant make that living in dublin.

HomeBrewWest

April 03, 2015, 11:11:43 AM #43 Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:30:07 AM by HomeBrewWest
OK, then we can pick it up, loosen the screws and return it. Or we can just pick it up and refund you.

Pop the lads an email (sales@homebrewwest.com) and let them know what you want to do.

By the way, do not put wet grain through this mill (or any other mill). There is no need since the two rollers are connected so that there is no shear force on the grains.

I've no idea how you would dry a mill after wetting it like this, it would probably seize up. We can't be responsible for mills destroyed by water (these, the Brewferm mills, and any other mill will all be destroyed by wet grain).

Covey

Just finished my first grind and overall happy so far, although there was a major vibration maybe this is normal with roller mills. Took about 1min 30 to do 3kg which is a bit fast but my corded couldn't turn at a lower speed without getting stuck, maybe you could use it with a cordless drill if you had one good enough.  With my old corona mill the  drill used to get hot and 2 of them burned out on the corona. But the drill was cool at the end of the milling (4.8kg). The grist was good and no full grains. I got it for e94 after the discount I think it's half the price of a Frankenstein and it came with the base and bucket so at that price if it does the job for years to come I'llbe delighted
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did