• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 08, 2024, 08:48:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best Dry Lager Yeast.

Started by Greg2013, November 30, 2014, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Quote from: Greg2013 on November 30, 2014, 01:04:36 PMI will be pitching two packs either way.Liquid yeast just 'aint  my thing for a number of reasons mainly the over inflated price

Greg, I don't think there's any financial benefit to doing this.. Just checking on the HBC site - a vial of WhiteLabs is around €7. Two sachets of Saflager S-23 costs more - a whopping €3.95 each!

What is going on with the price of dried yeasts these days? Nottingham in particular is literally double the cost it was 2 or 3 years ago...?

irish_goat

Quote from: Bubbles on December 01, 2014, 04:49:44 PMWhat is going on with the price of dried yeasts these days? Nottingham in particular is literally double the cost it was 2 or 3 years ago...?

GV12 is supposed to be notty yeast and is pretty cheap. I've had no issues using it yet anyway, handy to have a few in the fridge.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/gervin-gv12-tan-label-ale-yeast-11-grams-3237-p.asp

Greg2013

Quote from: irish_goat on December 01, 2014, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: Bubbles on December 01, 2014, 04:49:44 PMWhat is going on with the price of dried yeasts these days? Nottingham in particular is literally double the cost it was 2 or 3 years ago...?

GV12 is supposed to be notty yeast and is pretty cheap. I've had no issues using it yet anyway, handy to have a few in the fridge.

That's the one i have been using of late and i have had no issues with it,with the price of Notty and Us05 nearly double what they were this time last year i have been using the GV12 in place of both and it has worked fine for me.

Quote from: Bubbles on December 01, 2014, 04:49:44 PM
Quote from: Greg2013 on November 30, 2014, 01:04:36 PMI will be pitching two packs either way.Liquid yeast just 'aint  my thing for a number of reasons mainly the over inflated price

Greg, I don't think there's any financial benefit to doing this.. Just checking on the HBC site - a vial of WhiteLabs is around €7. Two sachets of Saflager S-23 costs more - a whopping €3.95 each!

What is going on with the price of dried yeasts these days? Nottingham in particular is literally double the cost it was 2 or 3 years ago...?

I will be ordering the pilsner malt Wednesday so i will have a look at the liquid yeast again.To be honest i have never got the whole liquid yeast is better view of things,i have been brewing quite happily using s04 and us05 and notty and have never seen the need to change that.I don't enter competitions so in have no need to follow BJCP style guidelines,i also don't harvest my yeast, so for me S04 and US05 will brew any style of beer i ever need.However since this is my first foray into lager territory as i said i may have to re assess that view just for this brew.

When i get my stirplate setup built i may revisit the whole liquid yeast thing. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Dube on November 30, 2014, 08:33:39 PM
Flaked barley is an usual choice for a lager and will probably make it a bit hazy. But the head should be good and thick and it should have plenty of mouthfeel.

W34/70 is about the most expensive dried yeast you can get. Currently around a fiver and its liquid counterpart (WLP830) doesn't cost much more. As for pitching rates, follow what it says on the pack as it seems to vary. Some require one pack, some require two. I've always used one (as per the pack) and it has worked out fine. Also follow the temperature instructions. Yeast goes through a growth phase first and it needs warmer temps for that. And the faster the yeast is working the less likely an infection will take hold.

Whose malt are you using? Mash temps don't matter a whole lot for over modified Irish and British malts, so 66oC will do. You could try a bit lower for a dryer beer but I don't think it matters much with these malts.

Shane is this the one you meant ?

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/wlp838-southern-german-lager-yeast-3395-p.asp

If no would it be a good alternative to wlp830 ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: Dube on December 01, 2014, 07:18:56 PM
830 is the liquid version of 34/70 but 838 is grand too.

Ok cool,HBC and HBW both seem to be out of WLP830 at the moment so i guess WLP838 it is then. ;D

Simon_

Quote from: Bubbles on December 01, 2014, 04:49:44 PM

Dry yeast has a greater cell count than liquid yeast so in a scenario where you're pitching 2 sachets of dry yeast you'd have to pitch at least 2 containers of liquid.
The advantage of liquid yeast is that more varieties are available

molc

Anytime I get liquid yeast I more look at the cost over a few brews as I harvest. Also handy to plan a few brews of increasing gravity, as you can keep reusing the yeast cake so your not underpitching
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

oblivious

Yep, just not sterile packed

Greg2013

Quote from: molc on December 02, 2014, 08:43:05 AM
Anytime I get liquid yeast I more look at the cost over a few brews as I harvest. Also handy to plan a few brews of increasing gravity, as you can keep reusing the yeast cake so your not underpitching

I guess even without a stirplate the liquid yeast is looking like my best option for a lager/pilsner brew ? Can i just store the yeast slurry in some sterile jars in the fridge afterwards ?  ;D

Quote from: oblivious on December 02, 2014, 09:40:15 AM

Yep, just not sterile packed

Not sterile packed ? Wondering what you mean by that. ;D

molc

Quote from: Greg2013 on December 02, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: molc on December 02, 2014, 08:43:05 AM

I guess even without a stirplate the liquid yeast is looking like my best option for a lager/pilsner brew ? Can i just store the yeast slurry in some sterile jars in the fridge afterwards ?  ;D

Yup, that's what I do. Make the beer, then wash the yeast and store it in a IKEA glass jar or two. I also try to fill the original vial with the yeast, so I can make another batch from scratch easily when I'm stuck.

However, next batch, I plan to do it a little differently. I'm going to first grow up the vial into a starter and then refill the vial with some of the starter. This means I won't have to do any washing and will always have a fresh vial of the yeast to use. Also, I'm going to try pitching 1 cup of the slurry from the previous brew into the next to take all effort out of growing my starters.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter