• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:14:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

American Pale Ale Recipe

Started by Chacmool, January 30, 2015, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chacmool

I'm looking for a nice American Pale Ale recipe if anyone has a good one that they use. I have Magnum, Summit and Cascade hops. My first thought is bitter with the Magnum and then use the Cascade. I've never used Summit before so don't know if I could throw them into the mix somewhere.

For steeping grains I have some Crystal (EBC 120), some Caraamber (EBC 70) and some Carapils. Again first thought is use the crystal but would there be any need/benefit to throwing some carapils in there.

Any suggestions appreciated.

irish_goat

Summit works well in APA, Metalman use it anyway (as well as cascade). Are you doing allgrain or extract?

Chacmool

Extract. Yeah I saw that about Metalman and that's what prompted a late night spur of the moment purchase of the Summit without any idea what I was going to do with them. Something like Metalman would be nice.

Paul B

Qs

The carapils will add body and head retention. Use a little of that, a bit of the crystal (maybe 5% each) and then whatever your base extract is. Then copy the metalman hopping schedule, although I'd probably use more hops in the late additions since you'll have caramel to balance it.