• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:43:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

February Meetup - 24th

Started by beerfly, February 16, 2015, 01:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

Going to have to Mooch this month, beers are still too green for 2moro.

1. Beerfly - not sure, maybe my irish red
2. Ciaran - Hazelnut Brown Ale, maybe Zombie Equinox IPA
3. Shiny - English Bitter, English Porter Mooching (T-Shirt for:  Dunkel x 2,Fergus)
4. Tube - not a lot ready atm, so depends
5. Dunkel - Hefeweisse, Headless Stout
6. pdb - Black Rye IPA
7. Parky (Paul) - Cascade/pale malt SMaSH; Fuggles/Maris otter SMaSH
8. Fionn - Blueberry 8.9%vol, Black/brown 9.5%vol, Grapefruit Honey Oatmeal 5%vol., Pale Coffee Oatmeal 5%vol.
9. DCBrewing - rauchbier
10. Fergal - Dubbel
11. Sebastian - Cream Ale
12. Hingo - Nada.
Brew Log

cruiscinlan

February 23, 2015, 08:42:47 PM #16 Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:44:11 PM by shiny
3. Shiny - English Bitter, English Porter Mooching (T-Shirt for:  Dunkel x 2,Fergus, Tomasz)
6. pdb - Black Rye IPA
8. Fionn - Blueberry 8.9%vol, Black/brown 9.5%vol, Grapefruit Honey Oatmeal 5%vol., Pale Coffee Oatmeal 5%vol.
9. DCBrewing - rauchbier
10. Fergal - Dubbel
12. Hingo - Nada.
13. Cruiscinlan - Coconut porter

Hingo

Don't think I can make it tonight after all.   :( have an early start in the morning and need a clear head.

3. Shiny - English Bitter, English Porter Mooching (T-Shirt for:  Dunkel x 2,Fergus, Tomasz)
6. pdb - Black Rye IPA
9. DCBrewing - rauchbier
10. Fergal - Dubbel
12. Hingo - Nada.

Adrian

I'm hoping to make it.  If I do I'll have a saison.

Hingo

Quote from: Hingo on February 24, 2015, 01:26:59 PM
Don't think I can make it tonight after all.   :( have an early start in the morning and need a clear head.

6. pdb - Black Rye IPA
9. DCBrewing - rauchbier
10. Fergal - Dubbel
12. Hingo - Nada.

meeting cancelled (in work) so i'm back in!  :D

GlasbrewInc

February 24, 2015, 03:37:55 PM #20 Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:53:53 PM by shiny
3. Shiny - Mooching (T-Shirt for:  Dunkel x 2,Fergus, Tomasz)
6. pdb - Black Rye IPA
9. DCBrewing - rauchbier
10. Fergal - Dubbel
12. Hingo - Nada.
14. GlasBrewInc - Dunkelweizen

all depending if I get home from work in time.

SlugTrap

Wanted to come but trying to beat a chest cold. Next time!

Boycott

The saison was the beer of the night for me. Followed by the cream and hazelnut ones.

Paul B

Good turnout! Fav was the hazelnut also followed by the cream ale. Dunkels stout and ronans red also very tasty.

phoenix

+1 for Adrians Saison and Sebastians Cream Ale, also enjoyed Pauls Cascade SMaSH (love to see a recipe for this btw)

Cheers for the positive feedback on the Hazelnut Brown, I was thinking of entering it into the Garden County American Ale comp under the American Brown Ale subcategory. Only problem is I never bottle conditioned any, its all in the keg. Could I fill a couple of bottles and add a little sugar at this point to carb them up and protect them do you think? Or is my only option a counter-pressure bottle filler?
Ciaran

ferg

Yep the saison, the hazelnut and the cream ale were really really great. Good job lads!

I saw designs for a DIY beer gun ciaran I'll try to find it.

Parky

@ Ciaran - I've posted the Cascade SMaSH recipe in the link below, also added a follow-up posting to show the method of adding hop extract at bottling time, in case you were interested. If it wasn't a strict SMaSH recipe I probably would have added some carapils to give it a bit more body, but it was really the hopping I was interested in with this one, and was happy enough with the way it came out. Someone at the meet (didn't catch his name, sorry) recommended adding the later hop additions while the wort is cooling, and I'll be giving that a go next time, as I felt some of aroma was lost during chilling. http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,8884.0.html

Great night, and some great beers, well done to everyone! Highlight of the night for me was the Hazelnut Brown, very smooth and a lovely balanced hazelnut flavour, with none of the harshness that sometimes comes with using dark malts in a brown ale. I also thought the rauchbier was lovely, and was certainly interested in how Dunkel's beers turned out with the Mangrove Jacks yeast. I'm trialling Mangrove Jacks yeasts at the moment myself, so great to see how they're performing (or not!) for others.

BTW: If anyone left a blue umbrella behind last night - I've got it  ;)

beerfly

Hard to pick a favourite out they were all good., that cascade smash was so drinkable

Sebastian616

Total agreement that the hazelnut was really interesting and tasty. I also really liked how the cascade smash turned out. I must try a late hop schedule using cascade myself some time. There was a lot of great beers out, was struggling to find out what bottle was what by then end!

Cheers for the positive feedback on the cream ale, I'll take the advice and try submit it to competition sometime!

phoenix

Nice one Paul, I'll put that in my queue of upcoming brews
Ciaran