• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:40:34 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growing Hops in a conservatory

Started by Will, February 23, 2015, 06:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

Hi all, basically thinking of growing hops in a conservatory. Is it doable?

mcgrath

I grew some in a bay window. New shoots kept dying of mould or mildew until I left the window open a crack. Some air flow seemed necessary. It took off then but became limited by the size of the pot. I enjoyed the experiment but gave it to someone who could grow it outside in the ground and it grew much larger.

Will

Was the crop worth the effort McGrath?

mcgrath

They ended up in a bag in the hotpress..  I didn't have the confidence to use them:)
but I got probably enough for one brew. I'd do it for the fun more than anything, its not going to save you any money in my experience.. Pretty sure they need watering every day too. just a consideration..

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Growing hops in a conservatory might work, but I would think the hops will grow too well initially and use up all the space in the conservatory. How well they do in subsequent years would depend on how cold it gets in the conservatory in the winter. Hops apparently need a good cold spell over winter to help them hibernate or something.
IBD member

Will_D

Hops in a conservatory will probably succumb to Verticillium wilt (caused by warm moist conditions)

They are best grown outdoors
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Will_D

JayMc

Is there a preferred time of year to plant them?
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

Fatcontro11er

you can certainly do it but the chances are it will totally take over and fill the whole place!!!!

Will_D

Quote from: JayMc on July 03, 2015, 03:02:27 PM
Is there a preferred time of year to plant them?
Indeed there is!

Usually you plant out bought-in hops in March/April time (this is when they are dispatched) depending on the weather.

Begged and borrowed cuttings are planted when they are obtained - so you may plant in say May or June but you won't get much from either in the first year - just let them establish

HTH Will