• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 04:57:56 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

IceProbe Chiller

Started by nigel_c, March 09, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermelho

Whenever I read the title of this thread I can't help but think of Ghostface Killah. Sorry, off topic but needed to get that off my chest.

Will_D

If you have an active ferment or a re-circ pump then it doesn't matter if you fit the IceProbe near the bottom.

However it would be better to fit it nearer the top of the liquid level as cooled water sinks and you will get a good naturall circulation. Same logic as fitting a heater at the bottom (hot water rises)

So fit near say the 3/4s full point

HTH: WIll
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

biertourist

Quote from: Dr Horrible on March 10, 2015, 07:10:33 PM
Ehmmm, that's pretty much my setup
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5811.msg74012.html#msg74012  (although I've developed a bit since then)
There's no need for an iceprobe chilller or glycol though, if you just use a chilled cooler box (also Peltier technology) with water in it,  you're good, although I usually put two ice bottles in there to start with a cold temp (great for prechillng down to a low temp prior to pitching).   Don't use a copper coil, copper in a fermenter is bad news.  I got my SS coil made up but HBW are selling them now, so it's all off the shelf, easy to get stuff and gives excellent temp control within reason - I still keep to lagers in the winter, but with better insulation I could possibly stretch that out a bit.
Haven't looked at multiple fermenters, have thought about, but currently switching the above setup to 12V as I've been evicted to the shed.

Wow, incredibly embarassed that I didn't think of the cooler boxes with the peltier already included...

Adam

Dr Horrible

I only thought of it myself recently enough - made life a lot easier!  Mind you, the ice probe chiller would be more efficient as it's direct contact, but a cooler box is cheap and readily available (60EU in Halfords). 
I'll be interested to see how the iceprobe chiller gets on with an active fermentation compared to my setup, be good to get a rough figure on the typical heat output of a fermentation.

nigel_c

Update.
First batch is sitting under my kitchen table at a happy 12.3c in a 20 odd degree kitchen.
Fermenter is wrapped bubble wrap than insulation tape.
Thermowell is a sealed 10mm pip with temp controller to the ice probe. I haven't seen it turn off yet.

More updates to come.

mcgrath

Is 12.3 the temp you are looking for? or could you drop it if you want?

nigel_c

Temp controller is set to 12 so not far from the set pint.

mcgrath

sounds like a successful project. thanks for sharing..

cruiscinlan

Nigel, do you mind saying where you got the gear to do all this including the power source for a 120V device?

nigel_c

Ice probe came from Amazon. Power supply came from a place called freetv.ie

johnrm

Sounds like a really good solution for anyone tight on space for a ferm fridge.

nigel_c

That's it. Can also be used for crash cooling or just brewing when we get a bit better weather.

nigel_c

Checked on the brew today and its a few points from done so turned off power. Dry hopping a D rest for the weekend then bring it back down before it goes into keg for lagering. Very clean and no diacetyl in the sample but should help clean it up some more.

nigel_c

Free time and a full glass can be an expensive pastime.
Ordered another and a conical so should have a Whopper of a fermenter in a few weeks.

Rossa

So this would work at around 18-20c too, right, but it won't heat?