• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 01:25:56 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best variety/supplier of Maris otter?

Started by Shanna, March 20, 2015, 08:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Hi there ,

Was looking at the different types of Maris otter available here & was wondering if people could recommend which of the different whole grain suppliers is best and if so why?

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=maris+otter

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

I tend to use Fawcetts and Crisp when available, because they're seen as being "premium". But I can't honestly say they're worth the extra couple of euro over Muntons or Bairds. Only a side-by-side brew is going to tell you that. Maybe one day I'll get round to it.

If it was available, I'd go for Golden Promise not Maris Otter, but it hasn't been available in the HBC for a couple of years. I emailed them about it before and they said they'd get some in, but it never happened.

It's worth saying that a lot of the English breweries doing malty beers will use blends of base malt to ensure consistency. I know for for definite that Fullers does this.

Also worth saying that a lot of maltsters selling Maris Otter are actually selling blends containing MO amongst other cultivars.

Hop Bomb

I used Golden Promise as the base malt in a recipe I did a few weeks back at GBB. Side by side it smelled nicer in the bag compared with best pale ale & marris otter. Marris otter tasted the best of the three. Well happy with the finished beer (80 shilling). Would defo use Golden Promise again. 
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.