• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:44:20 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegging Q & A

Started by cruiscinlan, April 23, 2015, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auralabuse

Quote from: mrmeindl on April 26, 2015, 05:02:33 PM
Are the JG fittings threaded that you connect to the disconnects? Are you better of using barbed disconnects and jubilee clips instead of JG fittings for the CO2 to reduce the leak possibilities? Has anyone got disconnects from aliexpress? They're an awful lot cheaper than buying from Ireland/the UK.
It's personal preference really, but to be honest I think barbs and jubilee are a bit more solid

Garry

I'm a barb man too but the JG fittings would give you more flexibility.I think the JG ones are threaded alright.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the of the disconnects for sale here (and in the UK & US) are coming from Chinese manufacturers similar to the lads selling on Aliexpress. If you're willing to wait up to 6 weeks for delivery, go with Aliexpress.

Chris

Do you need a different regulator for mixed gas?
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

mcooney

Also bough a couple of those THBC kegs.
Probably a silly question, do you leave the gas on at serving pressure constantly or turn it on/off each time your serve?

Garry

I suppose if your system is completely leak free, you can keep it on all the time. I just turn mine on when serving though.

auralabuse

Quote from: mcooney on April 27, 2015, 02:14:00 PM

Also bough a couple of those THBC kegs.
Probably a silly question, do you leave the gas on at serving pressure constantly or turn it on/off each time your serve?
I turn the gas off to avoid over carbonating the beer

johnrm

@Chris. Yes. You do need a different regulator for mixed gas.
Lagers and Ales are generally served on CO2, the CO2 reg has adjustable pressure.
Stouts and some ales are served on mixed gas.
The mixed gas reg is at a fixed pressure,, much higher than CO2. The nozzle on the tap is different also, it has a restrictor disc.

beanstalk

Ed

Quote from: mrmeindl on April 28, 2015, 10:01:56 AM
HBC have dispatched my kegs already - too quickly :) Now I need to sort a tap, freezer/in line chiller, CO2 tank & Reg, Beer/Gas line for when the disconnects arrive from our Chinese friends!

Yeah, i thought it was going to be mid May! now they'll be sitting there, tempting me to start brewing to fill them, despite not having any thing else I need (gas, regs, connectors etc) and having to study for an exam in two weeks. Damn your efficiency HBC!  :P

auralabuse

Quote from: Ed on April 28, 2015, 10:24:41 AM
HBC have dispatched my kegs already - too quickly :) Now I need to sort a tap, freezer/in line chiller, CO2 tank & Reg, Beer/Gas line for when the disconnects arrive from our Chinese friends!

Yeah, i thought it was going to be mid May! now they'll be sitting there, tempting me to start brewing to fill them, despite not having any thing else I need (gas, regs, connectors etc) and having to study for an exam in two weeks. Damn your efficiency HBC! 
They just arrived, I can smell the fanta of them still

Simon_

Quote from: mcooney on April 27, 2015, 02:14:00 PM
This is what you see people suggest doing in order to carb up your beer initially but with my regulators the dial doesn't stop the flow of gas at a particular pressure so in practice it's on or off for me. I turn it on as little as possible and let it rise to about 20 psi on the dial then turn off the gas.

One thing I do follow though is to roll the keg on its side for 5 minutes when first carbing in order that a greater surface area of beer is exposed to the co2 and absorbs it better

Simon_

A question. I bought a regulator from KegConnection in the states. The thread on it appears to be very slightly off from the gas tank I have.

http://www.kegconnection.com/chudnow-wye-regulator-double-gauge/

Any ideas what I can do with it?

krockett

Quote from: Ed on April 28, 2015, 10:24:41 AM

Yeah, i thought it was going to be mid May! now they'll be sitting there, tempting me to start brewing to fill them, despite not having any thing else I need (gas, regs, connectors etc) and having to study for an exam in two weeks. Damn your efficiency HBC!  :P

I've impulsively just spent a fortune. This Corny malarky better be what its cracked up to be!

johnrm

Shiite, need to talk to the missus now...