• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 10:17:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Old Stone Jug ?.

Started by Greg2013, May 19, 2015, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Found this old stone jug the other day and cleaned it up and sanitized it overnight,i have had a look inside and it is spotless. What could i use it for home brew wise and where would i get a stopper to fit the neck ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Kevin O'Roundwood

What size is it?

I'd say it'd be good for sloe gin or a rumpot anyway
Buachaill dána

Greg2013

Quote from: Kevin Roundwood on May 19, 2015, 02:03:58 PM
What size is it?

I'd say it'd be good for sloe gin or a rumpot anyway

Measuring it today will report back.Rumpot ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Kevin O'Roundwood

A rumpot is when you stick in a pound of summer fruit/berries and cover them with rum and sugar. You add different fruits/berries as they come into season. It's a German thing far as I know, to preserve the summer fruits. Then around Christmas they're all smushed into lovely sugary rumy fruity berriness, you can filter off the liquid and get hammered. I've heard you're supposed to dump the liquid and eat the fruit but the solid bits were pretty mank when I did it so I just drank the liquid!  >:D

If I do it again this year I reckon I'll use less sugar. I'll have to look it up but I think it was a pound of sugar with each pound of fruit
Buachaill dána

Greg2013

Quote from: Kevin Roundwood on May 19, 2015, 04:12:46 PM
A rumpot is when you stick in a pound of summer fruit/berries and cover them with rum and sugar. You add different fruits/berries as they come into season. It's a German thing far as I know, to preserve the summer fruits. Then around Christmas they're all smushed into lovely sugary rumy fruity berriness, you can filter off the liquid and get hammered. I've heard you're supposed to dump the liquid and eat the fruit but the solid bits were pretty mank when I did it so I just drank the liquid!  >:D

If I do it again this year I reckon I'll use less sugar. I'll have to look it up but I think it was a pound of sugar with each pound of fruit

Interesting idea. ;D