• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:10:33 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Co2 Regulator

Started by Endatheworld, May 21, 2015, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

June 08, 2015, 09:58:38 PM #30 Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:17:34 PM by Ciderhead
Quote from: Endatheworld on June 08, 2015, 07:07:39 PM

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 08, 2015, 11:36:42 AM
Folks please be very weary of using items in areas that they were not originally designed for particularly pressurised gas :(
Alex had cheap dedicated homebrew regs.

Ciderhead - Can you expand on this? What is he difference in A CO2 reg made for welding and one for brewing as sold by the HBS. The only difference I can see is that the ones for brewing have a smaller measuring scale on the outlet gauge?

2 areas for concern,
Firstly I can't see if the dial is a pressure or flow gauge :(
I think its pressure in which case you are ok?

More importantly homebrew regs have a blow off valve normally set to 55-60 psi or just over 4 bar, corny kegs themselves if memory serves blow off at 100psi or 6.8 do we know what the blow off rating is on this reg?

For the sake of €35-65 which is what Alex was selling them for on adverts its really not worth the risk.

Just be careful thats all the NHC hasn't lost a brewer yet, tried to poison a few alright :D

hopapotamus

thanks for the heads up , has alealex got any in stock ? i guess its a case of buy cheep buy twice for me again.

Chris

Can't get in touch with Alex anyone know how I can contact him?
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

molc

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 08, 2015, 09:58:38 PM

Just be careful thats all the NHC hasn't lost a brewer yet, tried to poison a few alright :D
We only poison the judges ;)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

hopapotamus

can anyone point me to a good cheep reg ? alex is out of stock

Greg2013

Is the one linked at the start of this thread not a good one to get so ? :(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

hopapotamus

from what ciderhead said above im thinking not , did you get one too?

beanstalk

The gauge is in bar and psi, and it highest reach is 85 psi. It does have a blow off valve, but I'll check with the sellers for its limit. Can't see it being much above 85 tho cus it wouldn't make sense otherwise?

Greg2013

Quote from: hopapotamus on June 09, 2015, 10:07:44 PM
from what ciderhead said above im thinking not , did you get one too?

No not yet,was going to in the next week or two,tbh all i really need is the tank level gauge but i thought at that price get the whole reg. :(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

hopapotamus

mine is in the parcel motel atm picking it up in the morning ,im sure it will be grand but i havnt a clue what im doing , need beer to fill the kegs first lol

Endatheworld

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 08, 2015, 09:58:38 PM
Quote from: Endatheworld on June 08, 2015, 07:07:39 PM

Quote from: Ciderhead on June 08, 2015, 11:36:42 AM
Folks please be very weary of using items in areas that they were not originally designed for particularly pressurised gas :(
Alex had cheap dedicated homebrew regs.

Ciderhead - Can you expand on this? What is he difference in A CO2 reg made for welding and one for brewing as sold by the HBS. The only difference I can see is that the ones for brewing have a smaller measuring scale on the outlet gauge?

2 areas for concern,
Firstly I can't see if the dial is a pressure or flow gauge :(
I think its pressure in which case you are ok?

More importantly homebrew regs have a blow off valve normally set to 55-60 psi or just over 4 bar, corny kegs themselves if memory serves blow off at 100psi or 6.8 do we know what the blow off rating is on this reg?

UPDATE: I tested this reg yesterday and all works as expected. The guage is a pressure gauge (0-85PSI). I have emailed the Ebay seller to ask about the blow off valve but have not had a responce yet. I will post here when I get it.

alealex

Guys interested in co2 regs have a look here:

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,9947.0.html

Sorry I don't do regs and kegging equipment any more but will use my contacts for gb if there's enough interest.

Cheerio brewers!
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Will_D

To Quote BugsBunny:

"Err What's Up Doc"??
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

beanstalk

Got my reg changed but they sent back a more industrial one, with a gauge that has way more increments so it would be impossible to serve at say 2psi cus its really hard to see on the gauge! What serving pressure do you guys normally serve at? I have a picnic tap and ten psi worked fine but I don't wanna leave this regulator back unless I have to. Will I ever need to serve at less than 10psi?

Greg2013

Quote from: beanstalk on June 16, 2015, 08:07:07 PM
Got my reg changed but they sent back a more industrial one, with a gauge that has way more increments so it would be impossible to serve at say 2psi cus its really hard to see on the gauge! What serving pressure do you guys normally serve at? I have a picnic tap and ten psi worked fine but I don't wanna leave this regulator back unless I have to. Will I ever need to serve at less than 10psi?

You will find that most beers are best served at below 10psi, 5 psi seems to be the average used but you may need to go lower. ;D