• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 07:02:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beginner looking for advice

Started by robmoore04, May 26, 2015, 03:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robmoore04

Hi guys,

I am looking to start homebrewing, and hoping for the benefit of your collective experience.

I am looking to make a pilsner, loved all the ones I've had in Czech Rep and Hungary. Have done a bit of research online and think I know what to get now, but just want to make sure it's suitable:

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/superior-beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-33lt-fermenters-p-968.html
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/gozdawa-bohemia-pilsner-34-kg-makes-40-pints-p-2722.html

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Rob
Twitter: @robmoore04

montofk

That 67Euro kit has got pretty much all you need to get going.
Ordinarily there wouldn't be much advice to give other than get it ordered and go for it.
I see though on this particular kit, it specifies 20C for the first 24hours, then drop it to 14-16C.

We're probably getting to a time of year you'd be able to achieve this by putting it outside.... Or have you any shed you could put it in to get that lower temp?

If you're worried about that then maybe go for another kit where temperature isn't such an issue.

Vermelho

Pilsner will be more difficult to achieve as the yeast used generally prefers colder temperatures. You should still get a good clean beer fermenting at 20C though just try keep the beer as cool as possible. Just get stuck in and it'll most likely work out well.

imark

I think you'll need to keep her fermenting below 10C to get a decent lager. It's probably easier to start with an ale tbh.

robmoore04

Thanks for all that lads, really appreciate it. Have a good cool shed so temperature shouldn't be an issue hopefully.
Twitter: @robmoore04

montofk

I'd imagine maybe it's a kind of hybrid yeast when their specifying temps that high... As imark said, normally pilsner would be lower.     Give it a shot anyway, I'd say it'll be forgiving enough being a kit.   Let us know how it goes, or any other questions shout up.

Hop Bomb

You can ferment wyeast lager yeast at ale temps no problem. It has been documented in detail on brewing tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluCEyQtQ0A
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: montofk on May 27, 2015, 09:58:59 AM
I'd imagine maybe it's a kind of hybrid yeast when their specifying temps that high... As imark said, normally pilsner would be lower.     Give it a shot anyway, I'd say it'll be forgiving enough being a kit.   Let us know how it goes, or any other questions shout up.

That's what I thought too. It's a really weird temp profile. It could also be Nottingham.

Up to 20c to build up the yeast count, and then down to mid teens for actual primary.

I have heard of people making fake lagers with notty an us05 with similar temp profiles. But they do claim it's a bottom fermenting yeast strain. If so, it is very forgiving during the lag phase.