• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:46 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CIDER 101

Started by Will_D, October 16, 2013, 04:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Bzfeale80 on October 30, 2013, 05:09:27 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 30, 2013, 03:34:25 PM
For how long do you have to wait with yeast pitching after campden tablets were added?

In general you wait 24 hrs after adding campden tablets and/or pectolase before pitching yeast
Thanks !

Will_D

For how long do you have to wait with yeast pitching after campden tablets were added?
'Bout 24 hours or so
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

Eoin

Quote from: Will_D on October 30, 2013, 10:33:45 PM
'Bout 24 hours or so

Do you stand it under airlock before pitching, or do you cap it?

Sent from my HTC One

Blueshed

a few questions

hope to collect the AJ in the next 48hrs, how long can I leave the juice or should I make the cider asap.

only have plastic FVs, are these ok. read somewhere that glass was better for cider.

how long will the AJ be in the FVs before I can bottle.

is it ok to prime the btls with AJ or use sugar, or cider only in the btl.

Ciderhead

JFI

The Apple Farm boys and girls ferment juice themselves(no for commercial sale)with no yeast added just natural yeasts on apple skins
They reported some failures over the years.

You can use beer to ferment your cider but its best to have a 50:50 juice dme mix with some yeast nutrient.
In this months Zymurgy (AHA periodical) a report list WLP 002 and 028 as two yeast particularly suited to cider fermentation and are 2 I am trying this year.
http://www.whitelabs.com/cider

Greg2013

I wish to extend a huge thank you to CH without whose tireless efforts on behalf of others group buys on this scale would be a lot more difficult, take a bow CH.

Ok now i will be getting my 50 litres of juice tomorrow but things have changed to where i may not be able to get to do anything with them until the weekend. is it worth the risk trying to do one of the 25lt drums as a natural ferment in a 33lt bucket FV ? If not i plan on dosing both with 10 campden tablets each and leaving until the weekend under a bubbler in two bucket Fv's.

The yeasts i have to hand atm are all dry yeasts, s04, us05, Vintners Harvest SN9 wine yeast.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

What you still doing awake?
Camden tomorrow will be fine for 24-48 hrs
Do you want a cider yeast?

Jacob

Thanks for the juice John! Bottled few litres y-day before put campden tablets in. Tasted lovely.

Will_D

A big thanks to John for this.

I am splitting up my juice as follows:

20 L will be pasturised to use later on.

40 L will be pitched with a Chardonnay Yeast and Nutrient

40 L will be pitched with WLP-830 (German Lager)

Both will be fermented outside - due to space and other restrictions

Will follow progress of the fermentation. At some point in the future (expect 6 to 8 weeks) I will rack off the yeast and leave again for maturing.

So good luck to all who set sail on the "good ship cider maker" for the first time and also to some veterans of the craft.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

MisterBurns

In general you wait 24 hrs after adding campden tablets and/or pectolase before pitching yeast

So do you add the Pectolase at the same time as the Campden Tablets?

imark

Thanks to CH, Dempsey , IsMise and ColinC for the chain of distribution that delivered my juice last night. Much appreciated lads!

Maybe I imagined it but did I previously read that you could ferment in the containers? If so whats the procedure? Are you drilling the cap or just loosening it up a bit?

Shane Phelan

Quote from: MisterBurns on November 06, 2013, 01:22:01 PM

So do you add the Pectolase at the same time as the Campden Tablets?

In the video nigel_C added he does it like this:

Campden Tablets____(12 hours)_______Pectalose_____(12 hours)________Pitch yeast
Brew Log

Eoin

I just got my juice now, I have to say the blend is delicious straight off the bat. Looking forward to this :-) I'm already thinking I'll order twice this next year.

TT

mr hoppy

+ 1 to it being damn tasty. I kept a little bit back for our little fellas and it went in double quick time!

I was also wondering if any one has read "Real Cidermaking on a Small Scale"?

I'm starting to wish I hadn't. >:( It tells me I shouldn't need campden tablets, or cultured yeast and it's pretty adamant about two things that didn't really compute:

1 - you must top your fermentation vessel right up to the top to avoid infection by airborne bugs (I'm hoping campden tablets void this)

2 - you can't store it cold until it's fermented because it will go sour because fermentation will be slower than the bugs (maybe they are talking about aceto here but I'd have thought lacto was more cold averse than yeast and brett too slow, and again I'm hoping campden tablets will void this).

Any thoughts any one?