• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
February 23, 2024, 02:29:25 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord


noob questions re sanitisation and carbonation

Started by marc, March 22, 2014, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

mixing the 2 changes the chemistry and makes it a more effective sanitizer.
but like dempsey says, never mix them neat or it'll release chlorine gas and melt your lungs.
the recipe is scalable also if you have some syringes (eg 2L water, 3ml vinegar, 3ml bleach)
remember too that bleach has a best before date. Fresh bleach is more effective than stale bleach.

DEMPSEY

You should not use bleach on its own because it will leave residue in the bottle and so must be rinsed with clean water that  itself needs to be sterile. The purpose of a no rinse liquid is to have this liquid at a PH of 3. Tap water is around PH 7.5 so by adding the bleach and then the vinegar you create a diluted acid water with a PH low enough to kill all known bugs and it is thin enough to not leave any residue in the bottle. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

lampie

I use a campden (sulphite) and citric acid mix to sanitize everything.

and when i prime my cider I use a carton of AJ this usually has enough sugar to prime the cider. When i prime beer i use sugar syrup that i put in my botteling bucket first and then pour over my beer.
If you can make soup then you will also be able to make a decent beer!

Ozbrewer

This is what I use - https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/sodium-metabisulphite-500g-p-1424.html

Been using this for the last 15 years and never had a problem. I have a bottle rinser and bottling tree. Fill the rinser with water add in a table spoon of sodium metabisulphate, rinse bottles and drain on the bottling tree. 

I rinse out all my fermentation buckets, and brewing equipment with it. For fermentation bucket I do a quick rinse with tap water just before I rack to it from the BK - never had a problem with an infected brew.

At the end of a brew day I rinse everything with it, and do not rinse with water. As the equipment dries it leaves behind dry deposits of s-mbs. When I go to use the equipment, I know it's already clean, quick rinse and start brewing.

It's cheap, effective and safe. Campden tablets are generally sodium metabisulphate, but more expensive to purchase. 

I use chlorine based cleaners for getting crud off the bottom of a bottle if it wasn't rinsed after use and left to develop nasties.

I wouldn't bother with any of that other fancy stuff you can buy - its expensive and complete overkill.

LordEoin

Quote from: Ozbrewer on March 24, 2014, 09:26:29 PM
I wouldn't bother with any of that other fancy stuff you can buy - its expensive and complete overkill.
I feel the same way. We're homebrewers, not surgeons!  ;D


Samael

Quote from: LordEoin on March 24, 2014, 09:29:55 PM
Quote from: Ozbrewer on March 24, 2014, 09:26:29 PM
I wouldn't bother with any of that other fancy stuff you can buy - its expensive and complete overkill.
I feel the same way. We're homebrewers, not surgeons!  ;D

Aye but, better not be a vinegarbrewers :D
..::Tomasz::..