• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 12:16:45 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

St. Peter's stout stuck at 1.020 in secondary

Started by phelixoflaherty, September 25, 2014, 10:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phelixoflaherty

As above.
Temp on barrel is 22 and room temp is 18.
Very rare bubble action.
What would one do to get her going?

This is only my 2nd brew,

Greg2013

Quote from: phelixoflaherty on September 25, 2014, 10:02:23 PM
As above.
Temp on barrel is 22 and room temp is 18.
Very rare bubble action.
What would one do to get her going?

This is only my 2nd brew,

Ok what was your starting gravity/OG ? Also is this a kit brew or all grain and if kit which one ? Stouts tend to finish higher gravity than other brews, you don't want them too thin. Try rousing the yeast by gently,and i do mean gently,swirling the brew in your fermenter so that the yeast on the bottom goes back into the brew. You will only drop another few points at most anyway,1012-1015 is norma for stouts afaik. ;D

Also if you rouse the yeast watch that the liquid in the airlock doesn't get sucked into the beer. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Garry

I did this kit earlier this year. Mine started at 1.048 and finished at 1.016. So you're only 2 points away from what I got.

Check your hydrometer in 20°C water, it should read 1.000.

_dj_

I also did this kit a few months ago. It stopped at 1.018 for me. Couldn't get it to drop any more. I tried increasing the temp and swirling the bucket around but after a week I gave up and bottled it.

Turned out lovely. The only downside was the very poor head retention.

DEMPSEY

Don't get too hung up on the finishing gravity. 1018 can leaves some sweetness in the stout and I know you probably wanted a 1014/12 finish but maybe the yeast is something like Windsor and just finishes high. Are the bottles carbing up enough for you. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us