• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 07:40:52 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Finlandia 1kg Ale

Started by LordEoin, March 27, 2013, 10:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I was skint, so bought one of these (€6.45) 1kg Finlandia Traditional Ale kits.
Has anyone tried these kits? How is best to improve them?

irish_goat

My brother used a few of those Finlandia kits and they were just ok. The "traditional ale" is the lager one according to the home brew shop websites so I'd fire some nice hops into it if I were you. And maybe try and get some decent yeast.

LordEoin

I might just replace the yeast with one of my surplus Coopers' sachets. At least I know how it works.
I have some cascade, bramling cross and styrian golding. I'm thinking of doing some short boils and dry hopping.
Might throw it on this evening once i've had a chance to think about it :)

irish_goat

I'd use the cascade. Bramling has a lovely blackcurrant aroma to it but would be out of place in a lager, imo and I'm not a massive fan of styrian.  :P

LordEoin

March 27, 2013, 04:38:00 PM #4 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 04:51:59 PM by eoinlayton@hotmail
i doubt it's a lager yeast as the instructions say to ferment at 20-15C, but i'll just replace the yeast to an ale yeast to avoid any confusion, then hop it up to high heaven

LordEoin

May 17, 2013, 01:07:55 PM #5 Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:56:34 AM by LordEoin
To follow up on this, I'm drinking one now.
I know it's just gone noon but i'm on nightshift, so in my world this is like 1am on a friday night, but with the sun shining, don't judge me!!!

Anyway, it's a great kit with a bit of tweaking (probably great without tweaking too, but I dunno)

I did:
Kit + 1kg LME (the cheap can from HBW or HBC) + Coopers IPA yeast (had it handy and know how it works) to 20L
fermented at 18C for 2 weeks
dryhopped with 25g cascade + 25gBramling X)

It's in the bottles for just over a month and tastes great!
Good lasting lacing head, beautiful flavor/aroma.

These kits are €6.45 and the LME is €6.95, so apart from the hops the whole kit and fermentables cost less than most other kit cans.

I'm very surpised at this beer. What started in a lesson on cheap ingredients turned out to be a keeper.

Lessons :
finlandia 1kg kits are good
cheap LME is good
(cascade + bramling cross) = win : it's maths so it must be true!

Col

Very interesting - a good option for a TAG like me...
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

LordEoin

We're all TAGs at heart. Otherwise we'd just buy our great beer from the expensive section of the offie!!   ;D ;D ;D

johnrm

LordEoin

I was thinking Tight-Ass Git, so we're probably close

johnrm

I just picked up a few cheapies in the HBC...
http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-make-your-own-beer-18-kg-kits-c-1_208.html
Weiss and Mild 1.8kg kits for about EUR7

Some of the lads at work are interested so I'm going to throw on a kit in the Canteen after work some evening.

I'm going to add 500g Sugar + 500g DME to each.

LordEoin

You might be better off with 500g DME and 250g sugar to 20L
It'll be the same strength but with less sugar it will have better body and head  :)

johnrm

Sorry, by sugar I mean dextrose, I assume you mean the same.
Yup, I might try that.
I'm trying to keep it as simple and 'by the book' as possible as it will be to a noob audience.

LordEoin

of course.
Also, if the yeast is out of date I should have a few packs from coopers' kits that you can have.
As the kits are only 1 month out of date it sould be fine though :)

johnrm

I'd say they're fine.
Thanks for the offer.