• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:39:33 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Belgian Pale Ale all grain recipe

Started by Lurchalicious, January 09, 2016, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurchalicious

Trying to make a smooth tasting Belgian Pale Ale,  like draft de konick.  Also going for a deep copper color.  Thoughts?

molc

Belgian pale ale tops out around 15 SRM, so that's very dark for the style. Also, belgians tend to be very simple, getting a lot of flavour from candi sugars and the yeast.

Your basic starting recipe is something like:
Pilsner 90%, CaraMunich 8%, Biscuit 2%, with maybe saaz or EKG to ~25-30 IBU. Use Antwerp yeast (WLP515) and ferment at 19C

Now, if you're going for a deep copper colour, why not go with a dubbel and get the extra dark fruit flavours from some special B. Matter of fact, even the above with some Special B would give you the flavour and colour.

The oats would give a lot of protein and clouding to the finished beer again something I'm not sure you want in a pale ale...

This is all style related though. If you're going for a dark pale ale, then I'd say 3 grains max and bump the colour with some dark candi sugar, which will give flavour and also dry out the beer, keeping it as a pale ale in balance.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

krockett

Have used chocolate malt a few times and really dont like it now. Why is this in a Pale?

Lurchalicious

Quote from: Mac on January 10, 2016, 12:44:36 AM
Have used chocolate malt a few times and really dont like it now. Why is this in a Pale?
I had only put it there because I've seen it in different clone recipes

Lurchalicious

Quote from: molc on January 10, 2016, 12:02:01 AM
Belgian pale ale tops out around 15 SRM, so that's very dark for the style. Also, belgians tend to be very simple, getting a lot of flavour from candi sugars and the yeast.

Your basic starting recipe is something like:
Pilsner 90%, CaraMunich 8%, Biscuit 2%, with maybe saaz or EKG to ~25-30 IBU. Use Antwerp yeast (WLP515) and ferment at 19C

Now, if you're going for a deep copper colour, why not go with a dubbel and get the extra dark fruit flavours from some special B. Matter of fact, even the above with some Special B would give you the flavour and colour.

The oats would give a lot of protein and clouding to the finished beer again something I'm not sure you want in a pale ale...

This is all style related though. If you're going for a dark pale ale, then I'd say 3 grains max and bump the colour with some dark candi sugar, which will give flavour and also dry out the beer, keeping it as a pale ale in balance.
I don't want to go into a dubbel style, I'd like to keep is sessionable.

Perhaps remove some color ingredients, up the pilsner?

I would love some 515 but I missed the boat on it.

molc

Ok in that case, just use the Belgian yeast and use a single malt for colour adjustment. Pale chocolate in small ammounts doesn't affect flavour too much, maybe a bit toasty.

Lurchalicious

Quote from: molc on January 10, 2016, 12:30:09 PM
Ok in that case, just use the Belgian yeast and use a single malt for colour adjustment. Pale chocolate in small ammounts doesn't affect flavour too much, maybe a bit toasty.

So which malts do you think should be taken out?  I could reduce the chocolate even further - I simply wanted it in there for color.  Which is the reason I believe its in most De Konick clone recipes

saw your comment about dark candi - wouldn't that just add to fermentable and color?  I'm at the top of the range on ABV I think

molc

Theres two different threads here. One is making a Belgian pale ale, the other is a De konick clone.

If you're going the clone road, stick with your recipe, as I don't know enough about that beer to critique.