• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:12:58 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2nd/3rd kit

Started by Inky, January 25, 2016, 12:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inky

Call it stupidity/enthusiasm but I had two kits sitting on my shelf a bad cat imperial red and youngs American ipa and decided to get them both on the go this evening. I'm still a total newbie so no hacking etc yet for myself but pleased with gravity, temp etc and I'm hoping to attempt batch priming for the 1st time when they're ready so il just keep the fingers and toes crossed til then.

irish_goat

No good sitting on the shelf anyway sure.   :P

The American IPA would suit a bit of dryhopping if you want to give that a go too.

Inky

I've read of dryhopping on here. Might sound stupid but if I don't ask I'll never learn. Is dryhopping just like adding additional hops in before bottling?

irish_goat

Exactly. You add hops to the fermenter and let them steep for a few days and then bottle. It's one of the easiest ways to get lots of fresh hop aroma into your beer.

Inky

With it being that simple I might give it some thought so. Cheers Irish_goat

Drzava

The Young's American IPA kit actually comes with a generous 100g dry hop bag. Just make sure fermentation has stopped before you add it - this kit is pretty slow. I did it a few months ago and it took three weeks for it to stop dropping. I dry hopped for three days - I wouldn't let them in more than four days TBH.

RobShamrock

The Red Cat was my 2nd ever kit, was good, but I under carbed it and drank it too young. I might revisit it again. Supping the Bulldog Evild Dog IPA at the moment which I bottled in Sept.  and its fab.

Heard great things about the youngs kits, have the american amber ale here waiting to put on

oinkely

Good stuff Inky,
Batch priming is pretty straightforward.  Boil up your sugar (or Dex or whatever) in some water, I usually use about 250 to 500 ml.  Let it cool a bit then pour it into the bottling bucket.  I then attach a tube to the tap on my fermenter and let it  drain off into the sugar water in the bottling bucket.  Keep the end of the tube under the water all the time.  I then leave the bottling bucket sit for at least 20 minutes to let the sugary water disperse out fully.  Usually use this time to get the bottles rinsed etc.

Inky

Just checked the two kits after 24hrs, American ipa is starting to get a head in the fb and the lid looks like it's bulging, the bad cat, just looks like dark liquid in its fb can't see anything happening at all, I'm not sure if there's something wrong or just takes a while to get going il give it a few more days anyways and see

Inky

Just checked both my kits the youngs is bubbling away nicely, nothing at all from the airlock in the bad cat. Opened it up and took the following pic, dunno if it's just slow or if something wrong. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated

LordEoin

smell it, taste it, take a gravity reading & close it.
that film looks worrying but if it smells and tastes ok then you might be fine.
If the gravity reading has not dropped then maybe add another sachet of yeast and keep it warm

Inky

Cheers, I didn't do a gravity reading this evening when I got in but it now looks like this and I'm getting a few bubbles here and there in the airlock too, it's still sitting at between 18/20c so I might just leave it and see what happens

LordEoin

that looks a whole load healthier.
Close it & leave it alone foe a couple of weeks. then taste and smell again.

LordEoin

by 'close it' I mean 'stop opening the fecking bucket!'  ;D

Pheeel

Quote from: LordEoin on January 29, 2016, 02:31:32 AM
by 'close it' I mean 'stop opening the fecking bucket!'  ;D

This
Issues with your membership? PM me!