• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:55:31 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Keg

Started by 2401keith, July 09, 2016, 12:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

I had no way of measuring volumes (apart from the start of the mash and what went into the fermenter). Hopefully the fittings for my sight-glass will arrive tomorrow and I can do another brew. I started with 33L for the mash (no sparging) and ended with 19L in the fermenter + about 3L or 4L left in the boil kettle. As soon as I get the the sighglass fitted I can start measuring actual volumes and efficiency.
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

Motorbikeman

Jay.  I use a graduated stick do measure the volume.

I have never used a sight glass, but I could imagine they are a pain to clean after a long brew day. 

Leann ull

August 23, 2016, 08:26:57 PM #17 Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:39:43 PM by CH
hope you don't put your stick in once shes below 69 ;)
you just swill with water, after 5-10 they start to stain but then you just have a sight glass brush and good as new.
Lots of guys in US using silicone tubing and just replacing after it becomes crudded up.

molc

Mine is Polycarbonate and is still crystal clear. I have a brush I use every couple of brews.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Taf

In relation to the burner, I got the below one, and very happy with it. It's a bit more expensive because of the flame failure device, but essential for me, as I brew just inside the door of my shed, as often too windy to brew outside.

http://gasproducts.co.uk/catering/boiling-rings-and-gas-burners/foker-large-square-gas-boiling-ring-with-ffd.html

shweeney

Is brewing with bottled gas not very expensive compared with using electrons? You'd need a standby cylinder as well.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk