• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:58:02 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

St Peter's Cream Stout Kit.

Started by Greg2013, November 10, 2016, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Ordered Monday and delivered yesterday from HBC,speedy service there. ;D Couple of things,going back to bottling so i ordered the FV with tap etc in the pic,is it ok to ferment in this or will it leak all over ? It comes with the seal in the pic which i assume goes on the outside but would i be better to try get a second one for the inside if i am going to ferment in it also ? ;D

Secondly the St Peter's kit yeast is quite a small packet,i reckon around 5gr which tbh i don't feel is enough to ferment a batch.Now i have not done one of these kits before so i don't know do i belt ahead and just use the kit yeast or hold off brewing the kit until i order a different yeast ,and if so what yeast would match best with this kit? TIA. ;D

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Keg

I have made this twice and am pretty sure I used the kit yeast both times with good results.  I kegged it and served on nitro except for 5 or 6 bottles.

Greg2013

Quote from: Keg on November 10, 2016, 05:50:06 PM
I have made this twice and am pretty sure I used the kit yeast both times with good results.  I kegged it and served on nitro except for 5 or 6 bottles.
Good to know ty Keg.Really it was the fact the packet was so small had me concerned would it be enough not the quality of the yeast.However i need to try and get it on tonight as i have two more kits coming from HBC :o

As a matter of interest what volume did you make the kit up to ? ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Keg

Ha ha I stuck to the 23L or whatever the standard was instead of going for a stronger version.  Good luck with it!

auralabuse

I brewed this years ago, was a nice stout, brewed short at about 18 litres and also used the yeast that came with it. I would recommended a second washer for the inside as there will be a tiny bit of pressure during fermentation and ya don't want a leak

Greg2013

Quote from: auralabuse on November 10, 2016, 11:28:28 PM
I brewed this years ago, was a nice stout, brewed short at about 18 litres and also used the yeast that came with it. I would recommended a second washer for the inside as there will be a tiny bit of pressure during fermentation and ya don't want a leak

I tend to agree on the second washer but where to get one the same is the question,tbh i would only intend to use the bottling bucket as a fermenter if i ran short on fvs anyway. ;D

auralabuse

You could probably pick one up in a hardware store handy enough, over in the plumbing section.

Greg2013

Quote from: auralabuse on November 11, 2016, 10:42:01 AM
You could probably pick one up in a hardware store handy enough, over in the plumbing section.

Yep going to try that,need to go pick up some bottled water to brew with anyway,the stuff here stinks of chlorine and i forgot to order campden tablets. ;D