• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:43:54 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Brew: The Craft Range IPA

Started by dundon13, July 11, 2017, 05:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

All good info above..BUT no one mentioned to throw away the instructions... As for how long is too long...not the week the instructions say...leave it at least 2 or even 3 and let the yeast clean up...remember the tortoise above..
What you need to do is get another kit and be ready to start it as soon as this one is ready...
Patience patience patience..and you will enjoy ypur results.
Welcome to the addiction..
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

dundon13

Sound for the info Oh Crap, being able to leave it the primary FV for up to 3 weeks suits me right down to the ground. Ya I already have my eye on a couple of different kits, might go for a stout next. Another quick question, would it have any negative effect on the brew if i used the tap to take out a couple litres of beer, once its ready to be bottled of course, and bottle that leaving the rest to clean up in the FV? I've a mates wedding coming up in August and i'd love to have a couple of bottles for him. I wont have time over the next week or so to bottle 40 bottles of beer but i could probably squeeze in 5 or 6. If it was ready to be bottled sometime next week, then it would give the bottles a chance to condition for a further 2-3 weeks. Am i just wasting my time or is this possible without ruining the whole thing.

johnrm

@DD13, That should not be an issue.
Safest bet is to use carbonation drops.
You could use a table sugar just make sure you use a carbonation calculator.
You could dissolve some sugar in boiling water and use a syringe (Cheap/free in chemist) to deliver appropriate amount.
Make sure you leave them in a warm place for a few weeks to carbonate.

dundon13

Sound for that john, will definitely by using the carb calculator, dont want any of the infamous bottle bombs or any under carbs. I reckon the closet in the spare room would be the best bet for storing bottles, stays consistently around 20c, give or take a degree or 2.

I decided to take a gravity reading on Tuesday night and last night, just to track progress but also a chance for me to examine the beers appearence, aroma and even taste as the fermentation progresses. Tuesday the gravity was at 1.040, and was really sweet(obviously) and stll smelled like the bag of LME that i opened on brew day. Then last night, the gravity was at 1.030 and there was a much more beer like aroma to it. It smelled like a fairly bland Pale Ale. Even the taste reminded of a Pale ale but still quite a bit sweet. Looking forward to bottling this and getting another kit on but mainly im looking forward to tasting it.

johnrm

1.050 down to 1.030 is going in the right direction.
Forget about it for at least another week and check again.

In the absence of Temp controlled fermentation that 20C closet sound like a somewhere a fermenting ale would like to hang out. Good for bottle conditioning too .

dundon13

The other half said no FVs in the house, that closet was my first choice, but the garden shed has worked well so far but the closet is much more consistent, day and night. Maybe if i tell her i can produce nicer beers by using the closet she might come around.

Oh Crap

Quote from: dundon13 on July 20, 2017, 07:16:36 PM
The other half said no FVs in the house, that closet was my first choice, but the garden shed has worked well so far but the closet is much more consistent, day and night. Maybe if i tell her i can produce nicer beers by using the closet she might come around.
NO NO NO....TELLL HER NOTHING..yet, save that till she finds all the new gear you hid..🤐🤐😁😂😜
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

DEMPSEY

What, you mean to say that you have built up no browny points,how long are you married. A successful marriage works well with a good trade in browny points :D
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

dundon13

I've plenty of Brownie points, but we're not long in our new house so she doesnt want me filling up any of the rooms/presses/closets with my brewing gear but the garden shed is grand out at the minute. Once i produce a couple of decent beers, she'll ask how i can improve it. I'll say temp control and that if i left the FV in the spare room closet i could really up the standard. That way i get what i want without having to cash in any brownie points.

Dunkel

You're a wise man Dundon, and you'll have a happy marriage  ;D

dundon13

Finally got round to adding in the hop pellets last night with the intention of bottling next thursday. The smell from the hop packet was unbelieveable. So much so i had to have a Stone Go To IPA from my stash. Current gravity is at 1.011, is this still a little high?

SprocketFuel

think when i done this it finished at 1.008

dundon13

Gravity has read at 1.011 now for the last 3 days in a row, i guess it must be ready to bottle. Can get a nice hoppy aroma from the sample and it tastes half decent to boot. Planning to bottle over the weekend, hopefully all goes well.

dundon13

A quick question lads, a second krausen has appeared to have formed on top of my brew. I wasnt able to bottle over the weekend but was going to do it today and now i'm worried about this new layer, what should i do?

johnrm

Possible infection, post a pic.
If you leave a beer too long, opening and closing, taking samples etc. you could clear the blanket of CO2 and allow O2 and/or bacteria in.
The above could stimulate yeast towards more fermentation, introduce bacteria, feed aerobioc bacteria or oxidise your beer.