• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 10:58:03 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Brew: The Craft Range IPA

Started by dundon13, July 11, 2017, 05:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundon13

I only opened the lid once during fermentation, that was to add the hops. I took my samples via the tap.

johnrm

It looks like hop-matter to me, so should not be a problem but a good reason to use a weighted hop-bag.
A Weighted hop bag (Sainitised Muslin + sanitised marbles or piece of sanitised stainless) as this would keep the hop matter in solution and means for less tap-clogging.
I would think you're good to go, don't agitate so as to minimise hop material going through to bottle.

dundon13

Cheers for the info John. Gonna start bottling now, everthing is washed and sanitised, so hopefully all goes well, wish me luck.

dundon13

Gonna open a bottle of this tonight to see how its progressing. I decided aswell to purchase some extra equipment and 2 more kits, one is a Brupak Beers of the World Bavarian Hefeweizen and the other was a coopers pale ale which came as part of a bundle with the equipment. I gonna have a double brew day 2moro, guess i need to start gathering up some more bottles.

johnrm

Sounds good on all fronts - particularly popping one to test.

I bottled a batch last year and popped one after a week - gusher.
Had I left it I could have a batch of bottle bombs.
Down the drain.

dundon13

So i opened a bottle last night after i set up the other 2 brews. Carbonation was quite good and there was a decent head on it but it quickly disappeared. It had a nice hoppy aroma but it was a weird combination of sweet malty flavours with a strong level of bitterness as i took my first sup. It was actually drinkable, which was a shock but will the taste improve as the beer ages?

Ceedee

Hello,

Yes, very much so! The one you tasted last night hasn't had a weeks conditioning yet, you need to leave it at least two, or three if you can. You'll be surprised at the difference between the one you just tasted and one in three weeks time.

johnrm

Patience, grasshopper.

Listen to Ceedee, you will find a sweet spot after a couple of weeks.
This could be months later deending on the beer!

SprocketFuel

I find 8-12 weeks in the bottle is my sweet spot for IPAs

Use the waiting time to brew more beer

Ceedee

I'm normally a patient man, but I find this part of the brewing process the slowest. I don't mind the fermentation as you can see it bubbling and watch the hydrometer readings progress towards that magical FG number, but once it's bottled, it just sits there and stares at you, teasing you to open one "just to see" and I sometimes give in, only to be disappointed.

Now I usually bottle a few into plastic, so at least I can have a squeeze and be reassurred that carbonation is progressing.

And yes, SprocketFuel is spot on. I brewed an IPA back in early June and after three to four weeks it was perfectly acceptable, but I opened one last night and the difference is very noticable. The flavour is more rounded, the hop aroma and flavour is still there but not as "harsh", if thats the right word and the head is creamier with lacing that lasts the whole glass.

I also noticed that the sediment is more compacted the longer the bottle is stored, making for a cleaner pour.

dundon13

Cheers for the advice lads, I was only opening 1 just to see the progress and understand the different stages of the conditioning process. I've 10 bottles hidden away at the bottom of the cupboard, these are the ones i intend to leave for the longest, and thanks to SprocketFuel, i think i'll give them 10 weeks.

SprocketFuel

The clear plastic bottle is a great tip too, I just use a lucozade bottle, one for every batch, perfect for tracking progress so your not tempted to "open one and see"

kilo_folio

Hi all, I'm a big fan of the forum and just started home brewing so I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question.

I have a batch of the craft range IPA in primary for 10 days now and the gravity still hasn't hit below 1020 on the hydrometer. The temp was a bit high, 24 degrees Celsius, when I pitched the yeast (US-04 rather than the kit yeast) and so I'm wondering if I have a stuck fermentation? The airlock is still bubbling and it's sitting at 19 degrees.

Would appreciate any feedback as this is my first brew.

kilo_folio

willk

Quote from: kilo_folio on December 13, 2017, 07:38:39 PMI have a batch of the craft range IPA in primary for 10 days now...  Would appreciate any feedback as this is my first brew.

Currently I have the same kit in primary for 17 days at 19C and it is still bubbling busily.  It was so busy over the first two weeks that I had to fit a blowoff to deal with the foaming.  I added the yeast at day 10 but I think I should have waited for it to slow up some more.  Smells great in the fermenting fridge.  I reckon we have another few days to run before bottling.