• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:50:00 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Brew: The Craft Range IPA

Started by dundon13, July 11, 2017, 05:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

@kilo_folio - did you rehydrate before pitching per instruction on the yeast pack?
Recommended for some yeasts (US-05 and S-04) as this gives the yeast the Oxygen they need to get started.
If you did not do this, did you stir the crap out of it before pitching?
Finishing high is more poor yeast management than temporarily hitting a high temp.
Maybe a little patience.

@willk - Yeast at day 10? wtf!

molc

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

willk

Quote from: molc on December 14, 2017, 09:20:47 AM
Quote from: johnrm on December 14, 2017, 09:08:32 AM

@willk - Yeast at day 10? wtf!

I'd say he means a dry hop :)
ROFL - you're so right - I must remember my own Rule #1 - never post while sampling the product ;)

BTW - it was a s##t loada hops.  I used a pressure cooker to sterilise the muslin bag after reading the dire warnings on here!

kilo_folio

I never rehydrated the yeast but did aerate the worth before pitching. It was my first attempt at brewing so maybe I wasn't vigorous enough? More than happy to be patient but I was hoping to bottle before I go home for Christmas. Would leaving it in primary for over 4 weeks do any damage to the beer? Also what would be the best time to dry hop?

johnrm

Consider rehydrating next time - This was one of my take-aways from Brewcon last year.
There are mixed opinions on stirring the shite out of your wort.
There is a thinking that too much stirring (and thereby foaming) kills head retention later on.

You should be ok leaving it for the few weeks - It will give the yeast time to finish and clean up.

I am not expert on dry hopping but I 'believe' the best time it towards the end of fermentation. i.e. the Krausen has died down, so about 5 or so days in.
If you are leaving for 4 weeks, you could end up with grassy notes.

kilo_folio

I'll be sure to rehydrate next time. I'm planning a Citra/Simcoe pale ale next month so will try it then.

So if I leave it in the FV until new year's would you recommend dry hopping then for a further 5 days before bottling? Sorry for all the questions!

But I'm hoping that the gravity falls dramatically over the weekend so I can bottle before I head off and avoid all this.

willk

Just taken a SG on mine at 20 days - 1.006, so bottling tomoz.  In keeping with Tradition, I drank the sample in the trial jar and I was pleasantly surprised - it actually tasting very promising in a fresh, loads of hops IPA kinda way.  Fingers crossed. 

I'm beginning to see a pattern now - a friend put me on to Bulldog Brews kits and I've done three, against a St Peter's, a Brewferm double batch and this IPA.  All three Bulldog kits had a taste I found off-putting.  Hard to describe, but not nice.  I put it down to being a rank newbie but the other pair of kits were good and the Oranje Bock looks to be going the same happy way (but holding off judgement until it is 8 weeks in bottle ;)  )

kilo_folio

Quote from: willk on December 16, 2017, 06:58:29 PM
Just taken a SG on mine at 20 days - 1.006, so bottling tomoz.  In keeping with Tradition, I drank the sample in the trial jar and I was pleasantly surprised - it actually tasting very promising in a fresh, loads of hops IPA kinda way.  Fingers crossed. 

I'm beginning to see a pattern now - a friend put me on to Bulldog Brews kits and I've done three, against a St Peter's, a Brewferm double batch and this IPA.  All three Bulldog kits had a taste I found off-putting.  Hard to describe, but not nice.  I put it down to being a rank newbie but the other pair of kits were good and the Oranje Bock looks to be going the same happy way (but holding off judgement until it is 8 weeks in bottle ;)  )

I know it's still early days but have you been tempted to crack one open yet?

I'm bottling this tomorrow after a 4 day dry hop.

willk

Quote from: kilo_folio on January 04, 2018, 04:08:48 PM
I know it's still early days but have you been tempted to crack one open yet?

Four day dry-hop sounds right.  I conditioned mine for around 10 days and then tried one - not expecting too much but it was actually very drinkable!  I've not wasted any time since  ;)  Over the past coupla weeks it has lost a bit of the hops but maybe improved some.  No homebrew twang in this one.  I have to say I'm very impressed.  I brewed at a controlled 19.5C and dry hopped at about 11 days.  Next time I'll hold the hops until the brew slows up and I'm sure the end is nigh!

kilo_folio

I tasted this when I was bottling on Sunday and thought it was very bitter. The smell was also a bit harsh. There was a big temperature swing when I left the beer unsupervised during Christmas and it dropped down to 14c. So I've lost a bit of hope for this batch. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it mellows out in the bottle over the next 4-6 weeks though.

I need to invest in some proper temp control. Are you using a ferm fridge or a homemade setup?

Ceedee

Don't give up on it just yet. Dropping temperature is not as bad as a rise in temperature, the yeast will just slow down at the cooler temps. Give it at least three weeks conditioning at room temperature and I'm certain you'll notice a big difference.

willk

Quote from: kilo_folio on January 10, 2018, 03:02:01 PMI need to invest in some proper temp control. Are you using a ferm fridge or a homemade setup?
In it's most basic form, a box made of insulation, a 25w heat mat and an Inkbird controller.  I found a fridge at work going spare, but only use it to keep the heat contained, 3C in the shed tonight and there were icicles in there last week!

The IPA is very bitter at first - but it eases up after a few weeks.  Big hops nose too

cruiscinlan

Quote from: willk on January 10, 2018, 06:48:11 PM

In it's most basic form, a box made of insulation, a 25w heat mat and an Inkbird controller.  I found a fridge at work going spare, but only use it to keep the heat contained, 3C in the shed tonight and there were icicles in there last week!

What'll you do in the summer?

willk

Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 23, 2018, 07:52:24 PM
Quote from: willk on January 10, 2018, 06:48:11 PM

What'll you do in the summer?

I believe I'll turn that fridge on and make a Pilsner!

TBH though, I have other fish to fry in the summer - apple husbandry and all that craic.