• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 11:00:28 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Recommendation for a lager brew

Started by mladen, December 18, 2017, 07:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mladen

So, I need a an advice about getting a kit to brew a batch of lager from thehomebrewcompany.
Last time I went on my own and got a Mangroove Jack's kit and got wiped here. Actually it was not as bad as people here commented..or I have no idea about beer. :)
Thanks...

Jonnycheech

I suppose the main thing to consider when you are brewing a lager is that if you are using true lager yeast it will need a consistent temp around 10C. After fermentation is complete it's best to drop the temp down to as near as 0C as possible. If you have a fermentation chamber/fridge you are laughing.

If not maybe look at Altbier.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

LordEoin

If you have temperature control, the Coopers pilsner is good.
If not try their Australian pale ale. It has pretty resilient yeast and makes a nice clean beer that'll pass for a lager.

Kit+1kg light Dry Malt Extract.
If you're into hacking a bit, add a carapils or light crystal steep, and a small dryhop of saaz.

mladen

Thanks guys. Ihave heating belt and STC100.  I will go with Cooper's then. They should have it in local store in Carlow.
Might play around and do the hacking, as soon as I google those words. :)

LordEoin

mladen

Thanks for your coments before. I have just ordered Cooper's Pilsner and Old Dark Ale. I have also got two  half kilo packs of Spray malt. Would that suffice or I should add some more of brewing sugar? I have been reading that adding too much of Spray Malt would give it a bit to malty feeling for a pilsner?
What about this brew enhancer?
Any additional piece of advice?
Also ordered some of Saaz for dry hopping, to add a bit of aroma.

johnrm

There are different levels of DME, light to dark - The lighter ones would be more appropriate for Pilsner/Lager colour wise.
I am not aware of a lager malt derived DME, so expect some extra malt character when using it.

Brew enhancers contain varying blends of DME, dextrose and maltodextrin.
DME as above.
Dextrose will fully ferment bumping ABV.
Maltodextrin will not fully ferment and should add some body.

LordEoin

* Thanks for your coments before. I have just ordered Cooper's Pilsner and Old Dark Ale. I have also got two  half kilo packs of Spray malt. Would that suffice or I should add some more of brewing sugar?
You'd be better with 1kg per brew, avoiding the need for additional dextrose.

* I have been reading that adding too much of Spray Malt would give it a bit to malty feeling for a pilsner?
Define a 'malty feeling'. I don't think 1 kg is too much

* What about this brew enhancer?
Just a mix of malt and other sugars

* Any additional piece of advice?
read existing resources: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/kit-brewing/guide-to-fermentables-(sugars)/

mladen

Thanks,

I one final thing. So I have half a kilo of spray malt and half a kilo of dexterose. Should I go along with this amount? I am anxious to do it and wouldn't like to wait for new order of another half a kilo of spray malt... And when should I dryhop with saaz?

LordEoin

yeah, just go for it.
Dryhop for ~3 days once fermentation has finished.

bighoppapump

I have some related questions - I have a coopers pilsner kit that I have been planning on doing this week and was wondering how low is too low for their yeast?

I've read the coopers yeast post which suggests 12-14C but I currently don't have any fermentation control.

I placed a room thermometer in my apartment's bike shed over the last 2 days and the max temp has been 8.5C, the min has been 7C.

Would it be safe to ferment it at 8C as it has been consistent for the past 2 days?

LordEoin

what's the full kit name? Coopers have a few different pilsners with a few different yeasts.
Either way, 7-8C is too low

Jonnycheech

7-8 is a bit low, you may get a stuck fermentation if the temp doesn't rise, which is very possible in Jan/Feb. If i was you i'd buy a brew belt and stick an electrical timer on it so it comes on every few hours to keep the temp up a bit. Or even better buy an Inkbird with a belt or make an STC temp controller yourself if wanting a cheaper option.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

bighoppapump

Thanks guys. I thought ad much :(

@lordeoin It's the 86 days one.

@johnnycheech: I was thinking of this but there is no electrical sockets in the bike shed unfortunately and my apartment is usually at 18/20 C.

I was thinking of wrapping it with an old duvet and putting it out there maybe but will test if that increases temp of water in a fv vessel first maybe

LordEoin

the Coopers 86 Day Pilsner comes with their L yeast
L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry yeast and their details are held in confidence)
L      - Aim to ferment at about 12-14C
The new Coopers range yeasts have been added to the kit yeast sticky

Perhaps someone would have a clean ale yeast for you (eg us05) that you can use instead.