• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 09:53:41 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wondering if this batch needs to be dumped?

Started by Phil.cork, September 30, 2018, 10:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil.cork

Hi all. Just brewed this blackrock lager kit. Had done one before and worked out quite well. This fermentation kicked off quite well and got down to a few of 1.012 which is about what the last one got to. It's been in wort 8days now and was just thinking about cold crashing if the gravity stays stable. But I saw this layer on the surface today. I brew in a Cooper's plastic fermenter which I thought I had cleaned carefully and samitised with star San so not sure what I did wrong. Anyway the sample for gravity still tastes ok but if it is infection should I just dump the batch and move on? With more attention to sanitisation.

CH

Yep that is not supposed to be there what is that black think floating at the back?
You may be able to get a siphon into it or if you have a tap draw it into your bottles but avoid the top couple of inches.
Classic giveaways are smell and taste. If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd and tastes like a turd, it is probably a turd.
Buckets are cheap I would not even bother with that one now and clean and sanitise like the nuns!

Phil.cork

Thanks for that. The black thingy is an ispindel. Need to clean that thoroughly. Must taste again and dump if turd-like

Tom

I think that specific infection (no obvious off flavour or aroma*, but a chalky feel to the beer) is as a result of oxygen getting in. I know that's not THE reason, but an identical beer in THAT cleaned bucket, if you never lift the lid, should last your 12 days. Did you open the lid after day four or so? Lager yeast, if it's a proper lager yeast, will struggle to give off enough CO2 to provide a protective blanket of gas in the later stages of fermentation.

A good fitting lid with an airlock is your next upgrade, then.

Good luck going forward.

* Obvious off notes: TCP, vinegar, baby puke, butterscotch or yoghurt

Slev

Did you only use the ispindel for gravity readings, or did you take some manually?

nigel_c

Would you happily drink it?
Do you bottle or keg?

Phil.cork

Tom I did open the lid after day 4 know I shouldn't have but there was a big lump of yeast on teh top of the ispindel so I boiled a spoon and briefly and quickly pushed it back into the wort. I double check the gravity readings manually to confirm waht the ispindel is saying but it is proving very very accurate so happy with this.
Good to know this is unlikely something that is very hard to remove and probably easier to avoid than I thought.
Lesson to self stop going at the beer when its fermenting.
I'll taste it again over the next few days and if its drinkable I will keg it and see.
Thanks

Jonnycheech

Siphon off under the pellicle and you'll likely be fine. The beer flavour may be affected somewhat but i reckon it'll be drinkable if you don't leave it go too much longer. If you leave it go too long you'll likely have some sort of sour lager going on, probably not too appetising! Hope it turns out ok!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

nigel_c

Cold storage in a keg will slow down anything thats growing in it.
Dump it or drink it fast.

LordEoin

Phil.cork

I dry hopped with space jellyfish polyps now that you mention it. Thats probably explains it

Phil.cork

In the words of Hubert J Farnsworth: Good news everybody!
The beer tastes perfect so going to cold crash it and keg. See how it turns out.
Will very carefully clean the plastic fermenter but have also invested in a birthday present for myself of a brewtech SS 7 Gal fermenting bucket so will move away from plastic either way. Thanks all for the encouragement and info

CH

Phil.cork