• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:11:25 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Next Meetup Sunday 16 June 2019 2pm @ O Gradys Yard

Started by TheSumOfAllBeers, May 23, 2019, 04:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

The next (first!) meeting of the South Eastern Home brewers will take place at Sunday 16 June 2019 at 2pm Gradys Yard.

Agenda

If there is something that you want added to the agenda, please let me know and I will add it here for discussion.

2:00 - arrive get a beer/lunch and settle in
2:15 - meeting proper starts. (TSOAB to chair)
- introductions, brewing experience and history
- any news items (upcoming festivals, events competitions)
2:30 - chair introduces other large home brew clubs and their activities
- discussion of which of these clubs activities is practical to downscale to a smaller group
2:45-3:00 - first presentation TSOAB: mini-keg/growler dispense equipment
3:00-3:15 - second presentation/TBC
3:15-4:00 - members tastings (who, style, strength)
- TSOAB, saison (extract), 6.2% ABV
(we will try to order these in increasing order of palate friendliness)
4:00 - end of (structured) meetup

Nothing is set in stone of course. Schedule picked out of thin air - this isn't meant to be like work.

Further Details

General:
TSOAB will chair this meeting.
If you want to present something at the meeting, I will add it to the agenda.

Members Tastings:
When describing your beer for members tastings, use broad, familiar style names, rather than esoteric BJCP ones.
Bring your brewing notes.
If you are bringing in a beer, 1 500ml bottle should be sufficient for the whole group.
Please refrigerate the beer over night so its at its best, and it transports better
If you have flawed beer, that is especially interesting to discuss; don't treat the tastings as a competition.

Ideas:
Please bring ideas (and a willingness to act on them) for discussion as to how we can run future meetups. I can certainly chair this monthly for June and July but after that it will be someone else's turn to keep the meetings interesting. We can also branch off onto other days, or other peoples homes for brewdays and collaborative brews. (I have never known a brewer to refuse help cleaning out the mash).

CARA

Upa Sesh

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quick update:
- this is all going ahead, I had a bout of toddler induced sickness for a week, which kept me quiet.
- let me know if you are bringing a beer for tasting

I had an idea about launching a facebook group to reach out to other potential home brewers. I generally dislike FB groups for brewing, but they are very practical for events management, getting cross promotion and reaching out to people who would never sign up to or post on a forum.

What do people thing about this?

ac13

Still on for this. Can bring -

• Seaweed Gose
  • Micro Mild

Not a fan of the FB groups either but agree for the reasons listed. Very hard to enlist new people when it goes to Whatsapp/Viber groups.

Dr Brown Ale

hey lads, have you got a Twitter?

I'm the new Social Media guy for the NHC, I'd like to get a tweet out to our base to maybe generate a bit more interest for you.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Not yet ... thinking about getting this all setup over the weekend. But on the fence about any high maintenance social media TBH (like twitter) unless someone else wants to manage that.

TheSumOfAllBeers

For those of you on the book of faces, the Facebook Group is up here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2360631050625752/ (Copper Coast Brewers). It is a public group (as I need it mainly for public events).

The event is up here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2491222580917677/

ac13

Good meet yesterday lads. Thanks to Richard for the minikeg demo, interesting setup!

DEMPSEY

Congratulations lads. The mods here can change the local club listing to your new name here. Handy to put here on the forum any listing of meetups as well so as to let anyone coming on hereto see what's happening in the GREAT SOUTH EAST. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

nigel_c

You may need to decide on a new club rep as the current rep haven't been active on here in about a year.

TheSumOfAllBeers

I will do a proper write up on this shortly, maybe today/tomorrow, there was some good discussion after the main meetup was over.

But in summary:

We will meet monthly, and focus on a simple format, with a technical or informative presentation and a tasting session. I would generally prefer that someone commits to a small presentation that is easy to get ready, rather than keep postponing something that is too ambitious.

We want to be focused as a group on the beer making; increasing our personal brewing rate, getting beer into competitions and participating in club level events like the club cup, brewcon club night etc.

We want to be accessible, and our meetings should be welcome to brewers of all skill levels, kit brewers and brew-curious, and even (very patient) partners.

CARA

Sorry I missed it gents, completely forgot it was fathers day and legged it North on Saturday night.
Upa Sesh

TheSumOfAllBeers

Okay throwing out a few dates for the next meetup.
If anyone wants to vote on the FB group poll, you can do so here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2360631050625752/permalink/2379142428774614/

Don't use the book of faces? These are the candidate dates:
Sunday 2nd July
Sunday 9th July
Sunday 16th July
The 2 o clock start was weird with the pub being shut and all, but it worked.

Does anyone have a preference? 9th would probably suit me best, but will shift it around for majority participation. Would like to get back to Gradys Yard ASAP to confirm the booking.

Also someone besides me should prep a demo or presentation, in the spirit of what we agreed last weekend to always have something informative with every meet. I will probably have some backup material printed out - photos from a brew day or something similar. You don't have to go nuts like I did taking a crazy amount of kit down Johns Hill on a bike.