• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:29:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Project - Summary Thread

Started by Shane Phelan, April 26, 2013, 11:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossa

Shanna

Hi guys,

Had some thoughts about the South Dublin barrel over the last few days and I was thinking that maybe we could try and organise a tasting session sometime over the Halloween Bank Holiday weekend.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Hi there

Transferred RIS top up brew to a keg last night. It had dropped to about 1.018 from approx 1.089. Hoping to take a sample for the next South Dublin on the 21st of November.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Bubbles

Nice work Dec, thanks for that.

Looking forward to another taste. Let's get a bigger bottle next time!  ;)

Shanna

Quote from: Bubbles on November 12, 2013, 02:19:14 PM
Nice work Dec, thanks for that.

Looking forward to another taste. Let's get a bigger bottle next time!  ;)

Should have a large swing top lemonade bottle somewhere. Do you fancy holding the syphon?

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Ciderhead

This time can you use the auto siphon in the bottle instead of your mouth as I'm sure it doesn't take 7 chugs to get that siphon going:-)

Sent from 1 of 300,000,000

Bubbles

Quote from: CH on November 13, 2013, 01:58:46 PM
This time can you use the auto siphon in the bottle instead of your mouth as I'm sure it doesn't take 7 chugs to get that siphon going:-)

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I was thirsty!! ;D

Shanna

Dug out the swing top lemonade bottle this evening and have given it a good soak.  Was thinking of taking the sample in Wednesday night after kids have retired for the night.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Shanna

Due to lack of demand I only filled a 500ml bottle from the barrel for the forth coming SD meet. The  smell was awesome and as it was a one man job the siphon was only inserted in the bottle (no sly chugging from Bubbles or CH ;-). I took the opportunity to top up the barrel from the backup keg. I added about 10 litres of a top up and the barrel still wss not full.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer

Ciderhead

Is there a leak, natural or artificial ;)
How far were you from the top do you think?
Probably not long now in any case. 

Shanna

Quote from: CH on November 20, 2013, 09:40:30 AM
Is there a leak, natural or artificial ;)
How far were you from the top do you think?
Probably not long now in any case.

No visible leaks (of any sort) except a tiny amount of residue similar to tar from the side. This was weeping. Will double check directly under the barrel to confirm there is no seepage or staining (kind of difficult given its on a standing on a stave and a pallet). I suspect that this is what the barrel has just asorbed over the last 5 months. The level probably was about an inch or so from the top.

Shanna

Hops Group buy packer

Rossa

First taste from the keg of the xxx porter. Bloody hell. It is fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. The chocolate and burnt toast is beautiful. Smooth, slightly sweet but with enough roast and bitterness to balance with the alcohol warmth.
When did we brew this? I think it might be hitting form...just in time for those long winter nights. You would never think this is the guts of 9%.

Fair play chaps.

Bubbles

Well it is a SILVER MEDAL winner! ;)

Still have mine in a keg but want to bottle condition it. Your recipe dude, well done.

Shanna

Quote from: Rossa on August 31, 2014, 08:35:32 PM
First taste from the keg of the xxx porter. Bloody hell. It is fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. The chocolate and burnt toast is beautiful. Smooth, slightly sweet but with enough roast and bitterness to balance with the alcohol warmth.
When did we brew this? I think it might be hitting form...just in time for those long winter nights. You would never think this is the guts of 9%.

Fair play chaps.
Brewed May 2013. Put in the barrel June 2013. Extracted from barrel June 2014. I had some last night from a bottle that I had in the fridge. It was not carbed properly so I added 1/3 of a pint of it to an oatmeal stout and it was delicious.

Rossa you were bang on about the carbonation and the cold. Recarbing the RIP and going to give it another go to bottle some of it.

Shanna
Hops Group buy packer