• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:18:42 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Effects Of Too Much Steeping Grains

Started by GrahamR, June 16, 2013, 11:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrahamR

Made a 12 ltr batch of Cascade APA two weeks ago. Had a taste just now and it isnt the mae west. The smell is very strong and the colour is very cloudy. Just realised I used 500g Caramalt 60 in the steep. Im presuming now that this was way too much and is the reason for the off wort.

Poured a full pint just now and it is brown in colour with a strong whiff of caramel and a slightly off/vinegar smell. Presume this is a dumper at this stage

Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider

GrahamR

Not too long ago I made a coopers stout kit that the developed the same off smell as my APA. Im thinking my fermenter must have an infection somewhere. Possible? Thoughts welcomed.

Metattron

Could be acetobacter.  You might get a nice batch of malt vinegar.  Or it could be acetaldehyde causing the smell.  Leave it and see if it fades away.  Your fermentation temp could be too high perhaps...
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

GrahamR

Just dumped, had a malt vinegar smell alright. Don't think it's the temp. Have a ginger beer n cider fermenting in the same room with no probs. Have placed an order with hbc for 2 New fermenters, one to be a kettle so il be away and running in no time

imark

Are you going to use that dodgy bucket as a kettle? It's probably fine to do so I would have thought. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.