• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:23:05 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Aphids on Hops

Started by ColMack, July 23, 2013, 04:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColMack

Just a warning, I checked my hops last night and noticed the beginnings of aphid infestation.  Slightly sticky younger leaves.  Might be a good time to check if you haven't lately.
I sprayed with Bug Clear.  Fruit and Veg version.

CARA

I haven't had a problem with Tubes donated Goldings. I check every morning and evening as have noticed quite a few spiders have taken up residence.
Might be a reason??
Had a few of the lower, bigger leaves turn yellow though.
Upa Sesh

johnrm

I think yellow leaves means to much water

delzep

I've had some yellowing of leaves too as well as holes in a good few of the larger ones

johnrm

Eaten from the edges means caterpillars.
Holes means slugs.
Slugs like beer, put out a saucer for them.

Eoin

Yellowing leaves can mean rootbound if you are in pots, starting from the bottom moving up the plant. Wilting will suggest over or underwatering mostly.

brenmurph

could the yellow leaves be from too much heat? my polytunnel ones had some yellow leaves which looked like they were toasted in the oven?  The outside ones in the same size pots didnt have as many yellow leaves.

imark

I've some yellowing around the lower to middle sections. It definitely isn't from over watering in my case. I was assuming it was as a result of the long dry period.

johnrm

Will_D

Getting back on topic:

Puts toungue firmly in cheek:

Maybe the  green aphids are harvesting the hop oils and sugars for later use as the ultimate dry hopping/bottle conditioner!

Just add 20 aphids per 0.5 mL to dry hop and bottle condition the beer

NJoy
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

CARA

A truly 'organic' ale!!
Upa Sesh