• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 09:01:20 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

cider yeast ! Anyone have a special cider yeast for exchange or for barter ?

Started by Seanboy, August 07, 2013, 06:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seanboy

Ciderhead

The cider (Champagne) yeast in the homebrew companies is as cheap as chips and not really worth harvesting.
You could always take a chance with your cider or other apples and try and ferment just the juice on its own, the theory being that there is enough yeast on the surface of the apple skin, you do run the risk of other yeast ruining your batch however.

Tom

CH, would you use the stuff from Whitelabs? (seen it on some youtube thing), or is it really just throwing away good money?

Ciderhead

Excellent question, I have seen them in the past and was tempted but couldn't really justify asking Shane in HBC to get some in just for little old me and for what it does its expensive.

My experience with yeast has been to use the youngs product which I gather is champagne yeast and also Lalvin Champagne (EC-1118) both at €1.75, they both ferment really well and flocculate well to leave well fermented, sub 1.000, cider.

I have also allowed apples to naturally ferment and got similar results saving the campden tablets and the cider yeast, but the product was a little cloudier.   

But haven't tried some of the other options proposed by White labs for Cider,  WLP002 English Ale Yeast and WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast. and will definitely have a go with this seasons crop.

http://www.whitelabs.com/cider     

In fact thank you for the reminder as I need to purchase 1 of each of the above.

Tube also did a very interesting brew (I am being kind) Us05, I believe it would have worked if it was from the packet and wasn't just poured in on top of trub :(

Tom

Thanks Ciderhead. You do the hard work, and we'll learn off you for next year!

I'm hoping to collect a few bootful's of apples this year (I'm looking forward to making a press too... maybe I'll keep that for another thread). So, with all the effort going into picking, collecting and making and operating a press... lalvin or young's will do my effort justice?

(I've read the obvious cidermaking books, so I'm confident it won't be 'insipid' or 'tart' etc.)