• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:22:02 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cararoma Ideas

Started by imark, August 28, 2013, 05:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

Anybody got a decent recipe to use cararoma malt in (not to be confused with aromatic malt)? I ended up with some I didn't want and want to give it one last chance. So would appreciate a proven recipe.

So far everything I've used it in (even in very small percentage) has been brought down by this malt. It easily overpowers other flavours in my opinion so looking for a beer that can balance it out.

Will_D

Quote from: imark on August 28, 2013, 05:43:24 PM
Anybody got a decent recipe to use cararoma malt in (not to be confused with aromatic malt)? I ended up with some I didn't want and want to give it one last chance. So would appreciate a proven recipe.

So far everything I've used it in (even in very small percentage) has been brought down by this malt. It easily overpowers other flavours in my opinion so looking for a beer that can balance it out.
Not familiar with this malt - what are its characteristics?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

imark

It's about 400ebc if I remember correctly and has a strong caramel malt flavour.
Red/brown colour not comparable in flavour to crystal for me. Melanoidan more so.

Eoin

Weyermanns make the stuff and they say these styles are good for it.

Amber Ale
    Dunkel Lager
    Dark Ale
    Stout
    Porter
    Bock Beer

The key to your problems is possibly the amounts, they say up to 15% of grist.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=2&idkat=18&umenue=yes&idmenue=0&sprache=2