• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:05:08 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone used T-58?

Started by admin, October 03, 2012, 11:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I have made a few wits using this yeast and I have been very happy with it. Doesn't flocculate well and gives a slightly peppery flavour.

I made a similar wit with S-04 recently (just to use it up) and it was nowhere near as nice.

Anyone else a fan of T-58? (I'm sure there are liquid versions too, but I dunno which ones)

Jacob

Looking at the yeast description it's possible that WLP565 is similar to that one.

MAF

QuoteLooking at the yeast description it's possible that WLP565 is similar to that one.
WLP565 is the Saison Dupont strain. I've never brewed with T-58, but had a taste of it in a beer and while it is definitely a belgian style yeast, I wouldn't  think its very saison-like.

MAF

QuoteMark, what's a perfect example of a Saison that I could buy easily enough, like in O'Briens or Tesco etc?

It's and end of the spectrum that I've not really been in.
Saison Dupont is the classic example of a saison. It can be tricky to find, but let us know if you see it anywhere (especially 750ml bottles)
Another one I had recently was not Belgian but actually Italian, and they do have this in Drinkstore:
http://www.birrificiodelducato.net/en/content/new-morning-2/ I thought it was very interesting, to quote their website: 'It is surprisingly spicy due to the use of wild flowers, chamomile, coriander, green peppercorn and ginger.' Yum  ;)

If I have a spare bottle of my latest saison I could bring it Saturday?

Lugh

I used t-58 to make a dark belgian ale last year and it was nice if a little lacking in body at 7.5% so it may be better in a duvel style. I am thinking of using it to make a belgian single ala Smuttynose Star Island

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

I don't know the Belgian beers at all well, but I've brewed a few beers with T-58. I find it a very nice yeast. I doesn't cause any problems and it offers a delicious spicy aroma to the beer. I can't speak to how authentic it is, but it makes a nice beer.
IBD member