• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 09:27:46 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adding hops to a kit

Started by delzep, November 15, 2013, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Doing a brewing demo next week where I'm brewing a 2 can kit (milestone ipa Ithi nk it is)  and Iwant to up the hop flavour and aroma. So would boiling about 500ml of 1.040ish wort and add some cascade and boil for 10 mins . I'd then pour this into a sterilised jar and bring it on the night when I'll  add it before adding the yeast. I'll probably dry hop as well after

Thoughts?

Eoin

I
Quote from: delzep on November 15, 2013, 05:03:34 PM
Doing a brewing demo next week where I'm brewing a 2 can kit (milestone ipa Ithi nk it is)  and Iwant to up the hop flavour and aroma. So would boiling about 500ml of 1.040ish wort and add some cascade and boil for 10 mins . I'd then pour this into a sterilised jar and bring it on the night when I'll  add it before adding the yeast. I'll probably dry hop as well after

Thoughts?

Make a hop tea on the night. It's easier  for the attendees to repeat themselves at home.

delzep

TheSumOfAllBeers

A regular kettle (of the cup of tea making variety) and a cafetiere would do the trick. Hop bag too.

ColinC

Or just bring hops & tell them how to dry hop (as in chuck a handfull of hops in) after vigorous ferment has died down.

delzep

Yeah I'm gonna bring hops and grain to show what they look like

Anyone have a hotplate I can borrow?

Eoin

Quote from: delzep on November 15, 2013, 06:15:34 PM

I have a gas stove for camping. Possibly need to buy gas.

Sent from my HTC One

delzep

Quote from: Eoin on November 15, 2013, 06:27:52 PM

Thanks for the offer but I think electricity might be more agreeable  with the pub

Eoin

Quote from: delzep on November 15, 2013, 09:13:41 PM
Quote from: Eoin on November 15, 2013, 06:27:52 PM

Thanks for the offer but I think electricity might be more agreeable  with the pub

Lol yeah never occurred to me.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

A kettle and a cafetiere would do the job.

Sent from my HTC One

delzep

I want the flavour of the hops to come through, hence the 15 minute boil. Isn't it also better to boil hops with the lid off? That would be a no-no in a pub

Eoin

If you want a bitterness addition then you'll need a mini-mash or extract boil. I thought you were looking for aroma, for that a tea is sufficient.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

In a demo for noobs, pulling out a jar of 'something I made earlier' kinda defeats the purpose, showing how a simple steep and the use of a common cafetiere enhances a beer sounds better to me at least. Kiss principle.

Sent from my HTC One

LordEoin

I agree with making up a pint of hop tea.
Simple, fast, foolproof.
You could even pour off a shot of it and let people taste it if they wanted to see what hops bring to the table.

delzep

It's hop flavour and aroma I'm looking for hence the 15 min boil with dme and the dry hopping