• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:06:59 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rebellious Lambic - AKA Old English October Beer...

Started by johnrm, November 26, 2013, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garry

Quote from: Tube on May 10, 2014, 09:20:13 PM
That's a great shed. Bit messy downstairs, bit the pointing on the blockwork is exceptional.

You're right there, they f%cking wrecked the place 😛.

As for the blockwork, you've a good eye. It's a hell of a lot tastier than the blockwork on my house! 

LordEoin

Garry

Dara just deposited his sample  :)

We've got 45mm of headspace. I'll work out how many litres that is tomorrow when I'm at the computer. We could probably top it up with a few tins of Dutch Gold?

donnchadhc

LordEoin

fill it up with water straight from the kettle. in 220liters it wont make any real difference

Garry

By my calculations, we are short 5.3 litres.

Also, from my measurements, the total volume of the barrel is working out at 195 litres.

johnrm

No water or Dutch Gold - Thou shalt taint thy brew.
Mr Heppy has something that will fill the gap, I'll sort it with him.

Garry

Taf

Quote from: johnrm on May 12, 2014, 10:10:36 AM
No water or Dutch Gold - Thou shalt taint thy brew.
Mr Heppy has something that will fill the gap, I'll sort it with him.

+1, think it would be a shame to dilute it down, after going to so much trouble to make a nice strong beer.

Garry

John topped up the barrel yesterday afternoon with a very nice smelling ESB that he had brewing (on the same yeast). It took about 4 litres to tickle the arse of the bung  :)

All we need now is a little patience......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc

Dr Horrible

How much patience are we talking about here?  I remember reading that those old style beers used to be left in the barrel for at least a year, are we leaving it that long?

Garry

At the moment the plan is to empty it in October. This might change? There's plenty of time to discuss it.

LordEoin

October sounds appropriate for an October beer :D

johnrm

There were talks of dropping a lager into it next.
Followed by a sour of some sort.

mr hoppy

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted lads and apologies for not being able to help. I've been a bit busy with other stuff the last couple of days.