• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 10:58:42 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rebellious Lambic - AKA Old English October Beer...

Started by johnrm, November 26, 2013, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Taf

Oh I'd better use the Yorkshire so. Any stir bars floating about?

johnrm

Your stir plate is quite big.
I have a big stirbar that should suit it.

LordEoin

I had to use the metal nozzle from a cake decorator. worked fine though ;)

LordEoin

johnrm

mr hoppy

1. johnrm - 2014.03.29 22l @ 1.072 Yorkshire square ale
2. taf
3. Sam
4. Dara
5. mr_happy - 22l @ 1090  Yorkshire Square Ale
6. Lance Armstrong - 2014.03.29 26l @ 1.080 Notty
7. LordEoin - 2014.03.30 @ 1.076 Yorkshire Square Ale
8. Dr Horrible - 2014.03.29 23l@1.086 Yorkshire square ale
9. ColmOM
10. DonnchadhC - 2014.03.28 @ 1.084 Yorkshire Ale Yeast

Garry

Quote from: LordEoin on March 30, 2014, 08:06:38 PM
what category is this beer? 19A?

I'd think our IBUs are too high for 19A and we are not going to have much malt complexity. I had a 19A in this years competition and that was one of the complaints I got back!

I'd say we are between 19B and 14A/14C?

@mrh, I see you've hit the OG on the nose! Fair play. How'd you manage to get to do a brew on Hallmark day?

Garry

Quote from: Dr Horrible on March 30, 2014, 12:15:24 PM
Mine also took off nicely.  Started at 17deg and now up to 18.  Probably going to let it free rise up to 20 and then hold it there - what's everyone else doing?

I usually let mine at 22° for the first 2 or 3 days. Then drop it down to 19° for the next couple of weeks. I think mr happy said to leave this on the yeast for 4 weeks before transferring to secondary.

mr hoppy

I got my brew done by minding the kids, and making the dinner at the same time. :)

My brew pot is outside and in direct line of the kitchen window - so I was able to stay relatively dry as well!

Although, technically anything aged in a barrel is 22C, the recipe is aiming for J.W. Lees Harvest Ale which is supposed to be the closest thing to an October Beer these days. It's specifically mentioned as a commercial example under 19B - English Barley wines.

I used about 540g of DME to make sure I hit the target. I've found in the past that my efficiency can be a bit off with bigger brews so I made sure I had some handy.

I also boiled for 2 1/2 hours to make sure - which mightn't be a great idea for some brews but is consistent with how October beers were actually made.

LordEoin

From vial: keep over 70F until fermentation  begins
From website: Optimum Ferment Temp 65-70°F

So this is a 19B andrew? sure we'll decide when it's done  ;D

johnrm

My Hop additions were the wrong way around too.
I blame the recipe (and the rain)
120g @ 60min
80g @ 30min
In case you're wondering where the bitterness is coming from.

I might repeat the brew in more favourable conditions.

I just texted ColmOM to see where he's at.

Garry

It'll be interesting to compare the colour of the 2.5 hour boil against the 1 hour boil.

I forgot we could use DME. I might add some to mine next week to bump it up to the correct OG? 700g should bump me up 10 points. Or should I just leave it alone?

I just checked on mine. It was a little too cosy at 24° so I took off the duvet. The krausen is after hitting the lid of the FV  :o G'wan ya notty hooor ya! I'll keep any eye on it. I might set-up a blow-off tube tonight instead of the airlock.

Garry

Quote from: johnrm on March 31, 2014, 12:45:13 PM
I might repeat the brew in more favourable conditions.

I don't think that's necessary. Sure the South Dublin lads are all making up their own recipes and then adding to the barrel. We'll have a grand blend by next October  :)

johnrm

Does that mean we can chuck a bottle of whiskey in?

I was going to do it to get the Hops right (Might use BX) and to get the OG right.